Thread: Borescopes under $1k

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Borescopes under $1k

Looking to buy a borescope, figured we can start a discussion here. I know there are dental scopes that are being used and are cheap but I want a "real" borescope, that's flexible, and smaller to fit into tighter areas.

There are options on Ebay for endoscopes that seem to be pretty nice and would work and are under $1k.

Heres another option that I like, but looking for some reviews/input. Anyone use these??

http://www.fiberscope.net/usb-video-...pe-handle.html

So....who owns a borescope and post up your thoughts

At that resolution, the little contractors fiber optic gooseneck inspection devices are probably going to work as well. Mine's a Milwaukee.

Make sure that whatever youi buy will go through the smallest opening you think you will ever use. We use a couple different brands at work, most with 6' or longer capabilities and with changable heads. Body diameters range from 3/16th" or so to about 3/8" with different capabilities. If you can, play with what you are looking at prior to buying it. The ones we use run about the same cost as a new pickup although our inspection group is trying out some new hand held battery operated units that are promising and nowhere near as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    Make sure that whatever youi buy will go through the smallest opening you think you will ever use. We use a couple different brands at work, most with 6' or longer capabilities and with changable heads. Body diameters range from 3/16th" or so to about 3/8" with different capabilities. If you can, play with what you are looking at prior to buying it. The ones we use run about the same cost as a new pickup although our inspection group is trying out some new hand held battery operated units that are promising and nowhere near as expensive.
    do you have names of brands that you liked? What to look for when purchasing?

my main reason for getting one was to inspect the lycoming valves. you need to see at a 90 degree angle right after entering the spark plug hole. the one i tried had a mirror to attach on the end. no luck! i even had a removed cylinder to work with. it was a borescopesrus. good luck.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

I'll have to do some digging when we get back to work. Unfortunately we are out on strike now, so I have no access to the plant or equipment. I do know that several of our scopes that have changable heads are Olympus units, but even used, these cost more than a new pickup. I will see if I can come up with a couple of the other names in the next couple of days via web searches. I know that there are bunch of smaller ones out there, but a lot of the inexpensive units have large diameter heads and require access holes at least as large as sparkpugs.

I would like a videoscope. I thought about this one for $279 at Aircraft tool supply.

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/search_result.aspx

However in a flyer, I saw this one from of all places, Harbor Freight. It seems to be exactly the same one sold by ATS. However I am reluctant to buy something I want long term from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-re...der-67980.html

The reviews on it seemed encouraging with one person warning that the mirror came off inside a cylinder.

If anyone has any input I am extremely interested in this subject.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    I'll have to do some digging when we get back to work. Unfortunately we are out on strike now, so I have no access to the plant or equipment. I do know that several of our scopes that have changable heads are Olympus units, but even used, these cost more than a new pickup. I will see if I can come up with a couple of the other names in the next couple of days via web searches. I know that there are bunch of smaller ones out there, but a lot of the inexpensive units have large diameter heads and require access holes at least as large as sparkpugs.
    Occasionally you see medical endoscopes for sale on E-Bay and stuff. That would be my first choice honestly since they are about as flexible as you can get so you could look around pretty much the entire cylinder, including back "up" the way you came in through. You can also find one that will display on a TV or computer which would allow for documentation purposes.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.