Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Design DR107??

Hey Brent , from someone thats had several biwings ( T's to C's to pumped S1S's and copycats) to several different monowings ( lasers to giles 202 now a DR-107) There's alot of differences in the way you'll fly the Bi-wing compared to the mono-wing , You'll fly the mono much harder without trying , they corner harder (7 G's in most monos feels like 4 G's in the pitts etc..) . Many other pro's & con's that will gender all manner of strong opinions I'm sure ! I will say there's a reason though that if you ever go mono-wing in the competition area you don't usually go back .
    One other thing to consider before talking bout the 1D specifically . Generally the airframe mantainance (wings)on most mono's is considerably less than the bi's . You can almost watch the airframe(wings) start going away on the Bi's as you start moderately hard flying . You'll fly the monos much longer between wing rebuilds as well as have much less headaches with the airframes over the long haul than the Bi's .

To my experence with the 1D , It is alittle wing but once you learn to fly it like it likes it's a very potient weapon in any catagory (I fly it in advanced) Mine is a stock 180 is about where alot of them weigh in the high 800 lb area . It hits a drag wall once it gets close to 200 mph , That little fat wing corners well with ample speed but it doesn't like the high speeds , which is a good thing for a beginner , Keep it between 140 & 190 & it'll compete with the big six's in all the flight modes . Others have already pointed out the roll rate (close to 400 deg.) . It's easier to land than the pitts , visability is better and not as twitchy on rollout ! More could be said bout it's flying qualities but if you'll go to Budd Davidsons web-site he has a great writeup on it there .
    The other thing I will say from a personal opinon I think it's just above the T model pitts Or a souped up S1S (airframe & engine) in it's performance capabilities & you can buy one for bout what you'll pay for the ones I mentioned .
    You might also go to the yahoo one design forum for more imfo if interested , Hope this helped , Keep the dream alive .

I'm building a DR-107 with the Bill Scheunemann Precision Aeromarine 21 foot wing (the builder of the prototype wing), it has 87.5 square feet and 8 foot ailerons, compared to the Rihn 18 foot wing with 75.5 sq ft and 6 ft ailerons. This should help with the wing loading, one of the complaints of the design. Not many builders choose a small 320 cu in engine and light prop, so nearly all weigh more than the prototype. Schuenemann designed the 21 foot wing to address the wing loading concerns when builders stuff in angle valve engines and constant speed props. Last I checked I had the only 21 foot wing in Canada, with one more in the U.S and Australia being constructed, none flying last time I spoke with the designer.

IAC attempted a One Design class but the population wasn't there to support it as I recall - and the plane is very small, made judging difficult.

The One Design itself seems lost to history although there are projects out there. The two-seat DR-109, and a single seat version of the larger airframe (DR-108) have been resurrected by the guys at Ashcraft Aeroworks, looks interesting.

My position is when it comes down to the issue of practical vs. fun, or even worse, practical vs. competition aerobatics, you should own the fun/competition plane and rent the practical one - it is easy and reasonably affordable to find a 172, 182, 210, Mooney, etc. at most fields, but it is not so easy to find an Extra 300L, S2B, or even a Super Decathlon that you can rent or fly solo acro in outside of a limited number of aerobatics schools or very lucky friendships.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

HI Brent, and greetings from a former gold-tie, one of the 495... A friend has bought the rights to some of those designs, has built one himself, and is working on an original design. see http://www.ashcraftaeroworks.com/

Wes...well said. Eric..as usual, spot on! We need all those RV flyers who are performing unusual attitudes Almost every flight to come and fly w/us. See you guys at the boogie!
    Mitch
    Giles202 N202MK

There is a very active DR-107 One Design Newsgroup
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onedesignforum/
    tons of info lots of builder and completed aircraft posts.

While the One Design contests never developed the DR-107 has been a big success.
    It is especially popular in the UK and Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rihn View Post
    There is a very active DR-107 One Design Newsgroup
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onedesignforum/
    tons of info lots of builder and completed aircraft posts.

While the One Design contests never developed the DR-107 has been a big success.
    It is especially popular in the UK and Australia
    Hey Dan , Been campaining the 1D in advanced at the first 2 contests of the season (Keystone & Sebring) , I've done fair for having been out of the game for 10 yrs & the stiff competition (the advanced team was at both contests & have been meeting regularly for coaching) A 5th & 6th overall wasn't to bad considering some brain farts that seem to come more frequent than I remember !

The stock midtime 180 has no problem competeing with the big six's on the other monowings , I keep the speed up and hope the judges have good eyesight to spot the little airframe . I fly it hard 8.5 Positive 5 negative & am amazed that the high G doesn't scrub speed as in other mounts , It turns the corner with very little speed penalty .

Am looking forward to the rest of the season in it , It really is the most bang for the buck of anything I've owned .

Take care .....Tony
    Last edited by flyrite; 05-10-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: mispell

Tony,
    sounds like you are enjoying your One Design.
    The guys in the UK are on a big winning streak in the Advanced class and in Australia Richard Whiltshire has won the National Championship (Unlimitrd) a few times in his One Design, beating out many larger, bigger engined monoplanes.Flown well it is a very potent machine.
    Here in the US Pitts pilots (including me) have to break a few habits but once you learn to fly it you'll wonder how you ever got a biplane to do anything.
    Good luck,
    Dan

Dan, if you don't mind, how many DR-109's are you aware of having been completed? Looks like a great alternative to the Extra's and MX2's. Do you have any connection with Todd Ashcraft or are you completely done with the designs? If done, anything cooking?

Recently met Rory Moore who is now flying an MXS, seem to recall he worked with you on a design or two back in the day.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

This is a recent post from the One Design Newsgroup.
    This post is from Phil Burgess in England who flies a very nice One Design powered by a 160 HP Lycoming from a C-172.
    Enjoy,
    Dan

"My season is going really well. We run a points trophy system throughout the season which I'm now winning by a considerable margin. My next event will be the advanced Nationals at the end of may. I'm competing against some fairly hardcore machines and the standard of the other pilots is also very high. Some of the events attract international judges so there is no issue that the judges are not working effectively. All this means that those debates about the 1D can be put to bed. It's not too small. It's not underpowered on 160 HP. It corners as well as anything else out there. In short it is a properly competitive machine in its own right.

It is a fantastic design and is obscenely capable compared to everything else on the LAA register. It uses less fuel than everything else out there as well. I certainly couldn't afford to be in this game if it weren't for the 1D. Thanks Dan for bringing this little aeroplane into the world."

Phil