Thread: Wireless Communication Cockpit

Wireless Communication Cockpit

While sorting headset cables and the web of entanglement they often offer the other day, a thought came to mind. Why, in this age of electronic marvel, do we not have wireless communication hardware for simple G/A aircraft ? For example, a C-172, with 4 aboard, there seems little reason that all hands could not be on the intercom and the PIC with the PTT switch as a controller, have access to the communication channels without these little black snakes which inhabit our "lounges" in the sky. There seems little question that, in a time when we implant song birds with microchips to track their migration and use Bluetooth to retransmit telephone calls and music of choice to almost any spot on earth, we could easily instrument our aircraft to rid our lounges of the wired snarl. With a new ANR headset going for $1000-2000 ea. and gasoline @> $4/gal. We could have in any cockpit which desired it {WCC} ( Wireless Cockpit Communication). Just couldn't pass up the opportunity to create a new alphabet soup contraction.EDGEFLY

http://www.avcomm.com/html/wireless.htm

I tried this one out, but ultimately ended up giving it away.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

This is what I use, totally rocks..
    http://www.skyshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1028

maddogmorgan,

I took a look at your reference link and it seems to be just about what I was hoping could be done. I have a few technical questions and will be following up with the manufacturer on them. In the meantime, what kind of aircraft are you using them in ? Have you considered a 4 person system (meaning simply intercom for 2 rear seat passengers ? The price is like everything aeronautic is of course ridiculous, but to be expected I suppose. Did you have the equipment installation done by an AP and have it logged or just do it yourself ? Thanks for a useful response. Anybody else out there using this gear ?

EDGEFLY

Hi Edgefly,
    Mine is in a 2 seat so haven't had a need for 4 place etc, I installed them myself (which the Recreational Rules allow in Oz)...there is a podcast with the designer at this link http://flyingdownunder.southernskiesmedia.com.au/ scroll down to episode 19. If you PM me I'll send you the manual in PDF
    Last edited by maddogmorgan; 04-22-2012 at 12:20 AM.

More Wireless Headsets

Another entry into the wireless cockpit foray. Check out mach5headsets. They are promising a for- real offering soon.