Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting ready for Oshkopsh and what to take

getting ready for Oshkopsh and what to take

As Oshkosh nears, preparations enter a feverish pitch. Camping equipment, inspected and laid out next to the plane, everything weighed. Coolers ready for the onslaught of ice and liquid refreshment. Tiedowns are prepared and new boards for under the wheels have been cut. Wardrobe is easier with several oshkosh shirts now in hand. A few years ago a fellow traveler shared his trick of bringing less than new apparel for recycling. Wear it and toss it, leaves room to bring new acquired items. The EAA's bargain tent always provides some good deals. Binoculars and handheld radios with plenty of spare batteries for the evening arrival show. Aircraft spruced up, traveling tool kit and parts set out. Oshkosh Notam and taxi signs made up. Endless route planning and the myriad of what if's involved, weather, fuel prices, last minute work issue time constraints, etc.
    The usual plethora of plebeian preparations.
    The real task of adjusting the body to the epicurean delights of the summer is the most rewarding. Having another beer at night to more assimilate the capacity needed is hardly a disdainful endeavor. The purchase of the first of several packages of Johnsonville Brats to better entice the tastebuds so the cry of "Give me this day my daily Brat" can be deliciously fulfilled by the epitome of gastronomical delights found at many venues throughout the grounds.Communal breakfast and coffee to start each day-less than 100 days to go.
    Plenty of Zantac, Pepsid, Prilosec, Tums or Gaviscon will be added to the first aid kit in case a neighbor is ill prepared.

Go out and get a good pair ( or 2) of walking shoes---at least 2 or 3 times a week walk a min of 2 miles. That should get you somewhat ready for the 40 or 50 miles you will walk during Oshkosh.
    AND--if there is anything your plane needs--DO IT NOW !!!!--its funny how those little jobs turn into big jobs.
    Also start hiding money --you don't want the wife --AKA "the one who must be obeyed" to find out what it really cost to go to Oshkosh for the week

will do another post on what to take

part one of list

below is a list of some of the basics to take
    Ice chest or folding soft side cooler for beer
    Tent--if new --set it up and get it wet
    Hammer for tent stakes and tie downs
    Inflatable camping mattress - don't forget inflator!
    Inflatable pillow or normal pillow
    Sheets, blankets or light sleeping bag
    Canopy for shade
    Plastic tarp
    Small bucket and sponge
    Garbage bags
    Paint brush or small broom to sweep out tent
    Clothes pins and camping cord
    Folding chairs
    Small aluminum folding table
    Large hat
    Sun block--higher the rating the better
    Several pairs of sunglasses
    Backpack
    Water bottle
    Rain jacket or poncho

part 2 of list

Cell phone and charger----write down all your important # on a piece of paper--that way if you lose your phone--you will have those numbers
    Digital camera and charger
    Air band radio - Make P-touch label with OSH Freq's of interest & stick on side
    Knife
    Mosquito repellant
    Lip balm
    Pens and notebook for seminars, parts, etc
    Camping lantern
    Portable fm/weatherband radio
    Flashlight and or head light
    Duct tape
    Disposable plates, cups and utensils
    Toilet paper
    Mirror
    Scissors
    Zip lock bags and paper towels
    Alarm clock
    Basic tools
    Baby wipes and hand soap
    Shaving kit, tooth brush and paste,shampoo,etc
    Several towels
    Sandals
    OTC medications and any LEGAL drugs you normally take
    Blister pads and First aid kit
    Aluminum foil
    Extra batteries
    Ear plugs
    Laptop and locking cable
    Power source to charge stuff
    MP3/CD player with headphones
    1"x8x18" boards to park plane on
    Tie-downs for plane - not the corkscrew type
    Canopy Cover
    Pitot Cover
    Business cards to give to new friends
    EAA,VAA,AOPA etc membership cards
    Read OSH NOTAM ( at least 10 times--and not the night before you leave or just before you get to Fisk
    Clothes---shorts, t-shirts, socks, underwear, etc + extra in case of weather delays
    Multiple pairs of comfortable walking shoes
    Waterproof container----a BIG rain storm can get things wet----even inside the tent.
    Cool weather stuff----its been known to get down into the 40s at Oshkosh .
    Snacks and water in the plane--keep you going until trip to store at Oshkosh
    thats about it---some people will want more stuff--some less---this is just a general guide. Good luck---fly safe---if you have bad weather--sit it out---someone will have a cold beer for you when you get there.
    Kevin

Kevin, I think Shakelford took less stuff than that to the pole!

getting ready for "Oshkopsh" and what to take
    If Kevin could spell, he'd be just about perfect.

I second his suggestion of "1x8x18 boards to park plane on." I made mine out of aluminum as Kevin suggested once, and they were completely successful at getting the plane moving at the end of the week. Also found a use for them back home, helping to get the wheels over the bump and the door rails at the hangar threshold.

Mike E

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Been camping in Vintage since 1988 and offer a couple suggestions:1. Don't take extra T-shirts, you're going to buy T-shirts.2. Bring 'Body & Hair' combined shower soap. 1bottle can handle your whole crew. 3. Find a great camp chair that fits in your plane. 4. Spend the money and buy a backpackers cot or buy a bigger airplane. Cot is usually cheaper.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

This is really useful info guys!
    I'm currently making plans and saving leave to come and visit Oshkosh in 2013. A big adventure for a New Zealander!
    I would be coming via England, as I have family there, and would work the Oshkosh pilgrimage into the return leg. I really like camping (especially with friendly aviation people) and want to get the "Oshkosh experience" Unfortunately travelling by "passenger tube" will severely limit how much stuff I can bring, so I guess I would have to buy a tent, sleeping bag etc somewhere on the way and dispose of it before the return to NZ. does anyone have any other suggestions?
    I'd actually like to make contact with some other enthusiasts as I'd love to fly in (preferably in a classic taildragger) with an experienced local. still working out all the details, but OSH2013 is still more than a year away.
    Would love to hear more OSH survival tips!
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

Oshkosh is pretty lightweight camping if you want it to be. There's no strict requirement that you have much more than your clothes, a tent, and something to sleep on. If you want to retain the stuff, you can probably send it home UPS by slow boat. Starting now I'm sure we can find you a mentor by 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi ZK-CKE View Post
    This is really useful info guys!
    I'm currently making plans and saving leave to come and visit Oshkosh in 2013. A big adventure for a New Zealander!
    I would be coming via England, as I have family there, and would work the Oshkosh pilgrimage into the return leg. I really like camping (especially with friendly aviation people) and want to get the "Oshkosh experience" Unfortunately travelling by "passenger tube" will severely limit how much stuff I can bring, so I guess I would have to buy a tent, sleeping bag etc somewhere on the way and dispose of it before the return to NZ. does anyone have any other suggestions?
    I'd actually like to make contact with some other enthusiasts as I'd love to fly in (preferably in a classic taildragger) with an experienced local. still working out all the details, but OSH2013 is still more than a year away.
    Would love to hear more OSH survival tips!
    PM sent.

Kiwi,
    While riding the city bus downtown for dinner at Roxy's Supper Club back in '09, I chatted with a Bush Caddy builder from NZ. He was a repeat OSH visitor and he preferred staying in the university dorms - low rates and no camping gear needed.