Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What you should know!

What you should know!

As pilots we all need to be aware of, and understand, any aviation insurance policies we might find ourselves involved with. There are a number of aviation insurance policies that might impact our actions as a pilot, and being aware of them can save yourself a lot of grief!
    As pilots we love to fly airplanes, so every opportunity you get to go fly an airplane you jump at it. Friends offer you their airplane to fly, someone asks you to ferry their airplane somewhere, you take a test flight in an airplane you are contemplating purchasing or you are simply riding along and the aircraft owner allows you to fly the airplane.

Richter Insurance and Investment
    847-325-5995

We are now licensed in the state of WISCONSIN. Time to shop around for insurance!!!

Richter Insurance Group
    847-325-5995

In the past, "shopping around" for aviation insurance "shot yourself in the foot" because one agent getting a quote from an insurer locked all other agents out of using that insurer. So if you had an agent you used regularly, but got a quote from another agent, you locked your favorite agent out.

Sounded like a scam to me, but I suppose there might have been some rational reason for it.

Is that still true?

This is true...in the insurance world today, there is no need for 2 agents going after the same insurance carrier. Being an independent broker, I have multiple carriers I can go to and ask for quotes. The agent does't decide the premiums in todays world. Some of the time even the underwriters can't do anything about the premium that is calculated. These are computer based formulas that spit out a number. As an agent it is my responsibility to get you the best coverage's for the best rates. With that said, going to an independent broker alleviates any frustration because, like myself, they can do all the shopping for you. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Well, I think you just shot YOURself in the foot. You just told me there's no reason to do business with you. There's no reason for me to "shop around" for agents, like switching to you as my agent instead of the agent I've dealt with for 20 years, because it's the agent who does the "shopping around," and you all are going to get the same price from the insurer.

The only way I'd consider switching agents is if I got a quote from my current agent (well before expiration so there's plenty of time), so they have got me their best deal, and then afterward I go to you or somebody else and see if you or they can do better.

If I go to you first, I've just been very unfair to my current agent. What a screwy deal.

I would not call it shooting myself in the foot. I appreciate anyone that tells me they have been with their current agent for many years. I too have clients that have been with me for a long time. I would be lying to you if I had answered your question any other way. I would rather you get the answers you are looking for than lie to you about it. I also have a license in what I do. Misleading people in this market not only harms you as the insured but myself in possibly losing my license. The other thing to know is that not every agent deals with the same carriers. Maybe you would like your agent to quote through a certain carrier but they do use that carrier. This is another good reason to search out multiple people. Happy hunting!

Thank You

Isn't the forum marketplace suppose to be for forum end users and not commercial marketing? Moderators, shouldn't this thread be deleted?

Thanks, Mr. HighAlt1022. No, you certainly did not lie to me, and I would hope nobody would even think of that. You answered my questions very forthrightly, and I appreciate that. I'm just saying it's an industry practice that I don't like, but I can deal with it if I know about it. And by your answers you are helping me and other people know about it. Good luck to you.

And Mick, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this forum section was for commercial vendors as well as for individuals selling and buying things. I think this gentleman is completely within his rights being here and answering my questions about his services here. If that's not the case, perhaps Hal can enlighten us and do whatever's appropriate. Thanks, Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    Isn't the forum marketplace suppose to be for forum end users and not commercial marketing? Moderators, shouldn't this thread be deleted?
    Get over yourself. This is good information.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    And Mick, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this forum section was for commercial vendors as well as for individuals selling and buying things. I think this gentleman is completely within his rights being here and answering my questions about his services here. If that's not the case, perhaps Hal can enlighten us and do whatever's appropriate. Thanks, Hal.
    The primary purpose of this section of the forums is focused on the end users as Mick suggests.

However, I have no problem whatsoever with commercial vendors who have products or services that are relevant sharing their information here as well. Especially if and when they are EAA members, as is the case with the original poster. Obviously, spammers aren't welcome, and we reserve the right to make judgement calls about the relevance of the posts, but I think it's clear that my approach to the forums as a whole tends to err on the side of inclusion.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation