Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q - ELT requirements for local flights?

Sounds like flight training to me. The 50 mile exemption should work for a while. I don't think the 90 day exemption applies because an ELT was never installed. Eventually you'll have to spring for a 406 ELT. Last time I looked, ACK Technologies was still the cheapest at $600 from Spruce. Many people would regard a 406 personal locator beacon as safe, but it's not a legal replacement for an ELT.
    Last edited by MEdwards; 04-24-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Many, not most

406 PLB doesn't automatically activate in the event of a sudden acceleration, does it?

No, you have to manually activate it. It's "safe" only in certain scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    Update - My 1941 J4-A has never had an ELT installed according to the log books so I'm not even eligible for a 121.5 type ELT. It last flew in 1975.
    Must be an interesting story there because as of Dec 1973 operating rules made it illegal to operate an aircraft without an ELT. One of the few exceptions was an aircraft without an ELT could be ferried to a location where one could be installed. There was a period in the late '70's where ELT's could be removed due to a battery issue, which evolved into the current 90 day deferral for no ELT installed.

If a serviceable c91 ELT could be found for cheap, I'd install it but looking at the big picture, probably best to bite the bullet and install a c126 ELT.
    Last edited by martymayes; 04-25-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    I don't think the 90 day exemption applies because an ELT was never installed.
    I applied for a ferry permit once and the faa inspector produced guidance for "inspected aircraft and found no ELT installed," valid 90 days from the log entry under the current rule.

Update - My 1941 J4-A has never had an ELT installed according to the log books so I'm not even eligible for a 121.5 type ELT. It last flew in 1975. For that matter, I have not flown tail dragger for 40 years so I will need a lot of instruction - especially at 73.
    I'm in need of some tail dragger instruction- even at 31. Heck, I'd just settle for a ride! I really, really love the real Cubs and Aeroncas.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Must be an interesting story there because as of Dec 1973 operating rules made it illegal to operate an aircraft without an ELT.
    ....and for this we can thank Don Jonz, a dickweed bush pilot with no regard for safety. If you're going to do something of questionable safety, it's best not to do it with two US congressmen on board.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I applied for a ferry permit once and the faa inspector produced guidance for "inspected aircraft and found no ELT installed," valid 90 days from the log entry under the current rule.
    Excellent. A good case for "All you have to do is ask." Unfortunately, there are other cases of "Don't ask the question if you might not want to hear the answer." The trick is figuring out which of those applies to any given situation!

No, you have to manually activate it. It's "safe" only in certain scenarios.
    As MEdwards pointed out, no the PLBs don't have to trigger automatically. However, the benefit of the PLB is primarily for those who are simply forced to do an ditching or something else that requires them to leave the aircraft instead of waiting with it until rescuers arrive.

Not to derail the thread, but there is a related rumor I have heard repeatedly that the 406 ELTs are also not required to have a crash activation mechanism (where these things get started.....who freaking knows). Part of the problem is that people need to take a look at more then just the TSO for the 406 ELTs (which does not stipulate a requirement for crash activation). The FAA simply stated that the newer generation of ELTs must comply with the various RTCA standards that the older generation were required to comply with.

Specifically:
    RTCA DO-204 (Hardware)
    2.1.13 Automatic Fixed (AF) Equipment
    Requires means to detect the occurrence of a crash and automatically activate the transmitter, aural and visual indication to the flight crew of activation, controls available from the pilot's position, and means to rigidly mount the equipment to the aircraft structure

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I'm in need of some tail dragger instruction- even at 31. Heck, I'd just settle for a ride! I really, really love the real Cubs and Aeroncas.
    Next time you are in the Carlisle area, look me up. Free ride over Gettysburg battlefields and Three Mile Island....I'll even let you drive a bit...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania