Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA ditches air racing?

EAA ditches air racing?

So is it true EAA will no longer be associated with air racing in any form? The AirVenture cup is dead in the water?
    Last edited by martymayes; 05-10-2012 at 10:20 PM.

After what's probably happened to insurance rates after the Reno accident, I wouldn't be surprised....

Ron Wanttaja

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
    The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches, and the only place to hear it, RENO!!

www.timadamsphotography.com

How ironic is it that Airventure is held at Wittman Field, of course named after Steve Wittman, one of the most famous racers is aviation history!!
    The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches, and the only place to hear it, RENO!!

www.timadamsphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    So is it true EAA will no longer be associated with air racing in any form? The AirVenture cup is dead in the water?
    As it relates to AirVenture, yes. Air racing as a sport, at Reno, pylon schools, Red Bull...all good.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    As it relates to AirVenture, yes. Air racing as a sport, at Reno, pylon schools, Red Bull...all good.
    What kind of support will EAA be offering to other types of air racing? That position is somewhat different from the statement: "EAA will no longer be associated with air racing in any form going forward."

Please correct me if I misquoted you, it's a cut and paste.

You quoted me correctly...it was my email to Eric that was missing my own words. Support is not the right word. Encouraging the sport is more along the lines of how EAA relates to air racing. It's the same as regional fly ins, we take part, but no longer in an official supporting (sponsorship) way.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    After what's probably happened to insurance rates after the Reno accident, I wouldn't be surprised....

Ron Wanttaja
    It's my understanding that insurance didn't change for the 2012 AirVenture cup races. This is a directive from 'the top' to disassociate the organization from air racing. I don't see where a handful of folks racing homebuilts on a straight line cross-coutry course (absolutely nothing like closed course pylon racing) poses a threat to the organization or society. I certainly would think it's an activity covered under the the new EAA vision and mission statements. My question is what segment will be ditched next? Why doesn't the leadership just lay out their ideology for the organization and stop all the piece nibbling?
    Last edited by martymayes; 05-11-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    You quoted me correctly...it was my email to Eric that was missing my own words. Support is not the right word. Encouraging the sport is more along the lines of how EAA relates to air racing. It's the same as regional fly ins, we take part, but no longer in an official supporting (sponsorship) way.
    So its "we're all for it, but NIMBY" ....I got it.

An FWIW, in your own words, what is your personal take on the directive Chad? Or can you say?

I just re-upped my national membership for the first time in maybe 7 or 8 years, and only because it was required in order to join IAC. And then they go and do this. What exactly is EAA's mission? What are they willing to stand for?

It seems more and more to be aiming to be 'AOPA lite' rather than the EAA I grew up with - innovative, fearless, and covering the entire breadth of Experimental Aviation with little to any attention paid to the NIMBY's or to spam cans, bizjets and heavy iron. I haven't been to OSH since '03 - on-field McDonald's replacing the Boy Scouts burger stands, the Eclipse fraud buying the center stage, I mean really, King-Airs and TBM 750's at the world's premiere 'experimental' aircraft fly-in?

When we all try to post-mortem what once was a thriving and vibrant organization, it will be the decisions like this determined to be root-cause.

Begs the question what is next? After the DC-3 fiasco all I see is more and more bully micro-management from an organization that appears to not really know what it wants to be when it grows up.

Very disappointing.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/