Thread: Carroll Shelby has passed away, 1923-2012

Carroll Shelby has passed away, 1923-2012

Carol was at the Gathering of Eagles several times and has helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the EAA constructing special edition ford mustangs. Blue Skies Carol!

Shelby began training at San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center (which later became Lackland Air Force Base) near San Antonio, Texas. On training missions, Carroll corresponds with his fiancee by dropping love letters placed in his flying boots onto her farm. As a flight instructor, he did not leave the U.S. during World War II.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...2012_timeline/

He was always a nice guy the two very brief interactions I had with him (both at Oshkosh) although the one thing I will never forget is his telling me if I ever called him 'sir' again to his face he would stop talking to me about his wartime experiences. So I guess I should word this a little differently: Blue skies and fair winds Mr. Shelby!
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

My wife and I got two small Poodles very recently.
    I gave them the names "Shelby" and "Cobra" although he goes by Coby most times.

I needed to give them automotive/aviation names, but couldn't make it too obvious to her!

When I first learned of Carroll Shelby's passing, I phoned my wife to let her know her puppys' namesake had passed away. He will be missed!!