Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: GA Turboprop

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bewley View Post
    In the 1990's United Airlines was taking deliveries of B-757 's and I had a Pratt & Whitney tech rep riding jumpseat with us on a trip. UAVMX, when he finished taking engine parameter readings I asked him the EXACT question you have raised about a 300-400 hp turbo prop we could afford in GA. His answer was as long as we machine the blades we cannot get the cost down. I asked about making ceramic blades and he said they were working on that, but I have not heard anything about it since then. Adrian Bewley
    Yeah, that's obviously where the cost is tied up....not in the technology. Axial flow blades don't seem like that are all that complex to machine.....where as a blisk, or centrifugal compressor seems like it would be very difficult. But again, with all the automation today, all these CNC machines, etc, you'd think that the cost would have come down.

The outer housings are pretty basic, pressed/welded tubes essentially. I think the shafts would be expensive because of the trueness required and often times you have shafts running inside another.

I know another VERY expensive aspect to the manufacturing cost are fuel nozzles. The amount of misting/atomization required, dual flow, conical spray patterns these suckers is complex and on a TPE run around $6k A PEICE!!! (and there's 8 of them....)

There's got to be a way to attack these issues with a group of smart guys and over come these limitations.
    Last edited by uavmx; 04-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    Yeah, that's obviously where the cost is tied up....not in the technology. Axial flow blades don't seem like that are all that complex to machine.....There's got to be a way to attack these issues with a group of smart guys and over come these limitations.
    A large chunk of cost is that you can't build turbine engine parts out of plain 'ol steel. Some high temp alloys in raw bar stock form is >$1000 per linear inch. The benefit of ceramic is that it would be cheap if they could find a way to make it work.