Thread: Looking for info on Kool Propellors, Aero Props, and Whirlwind for a 912

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for info on Kool Propellors, Aero Props, and Whirlwind for a 912

I have a 1996 model Rans S7 that currently has a 2 blade taper tip Warp on it. The engine is a 912 with the Extra-Performance piston upgrade (90-95 HP). I am researching different propellers, my need to upgrade is because I am putting the plane on floats for a couple of months. My current prop does not have a protective edge that is needed for water ops. I was set on buying a 3-blade Kiev but have also read about the KOOL and Aero prop. I can't seem to find many people that have much experience here in the US with these props. I have a feeling these two props are made by the same manufacturer in the Ukraine or Russia but sold under different names. Anyone have any experience with either of these props? The KOOL is sold by airtrikes in Canada and the Aero prop by Apollo North America in Florida.

The other prop I am looking at is the Whirlwind sold and manufactured in California. I am a liking the "Made in USA" idea but it is a bit more expensive.

I would like to retain good climb and cruise speeds and want to get rid of the drumming/vibration I seem to be feeling with my current 2-blade. I have also read that the 3-blade props are smoother than the 2-blade versions.

Anyone have one of these?

I am a liking the "Made in USA" idea but it is a bit more expensive.
    Such is the price one pays for national pride. LOL

Anyone have one of these?
    One of my friends has a Whirlwind and 912 combo on one of his planes. He says it is the smoothest prop he's come across for that engine. I suspect he knows what he's talking about as this is his third prop for that engine (the previous two having been damaged in a bird strike and when his son botched a landing and had a prop strike).
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.