Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tail Art, Nose Art, any art?

The photos show very young kids, much too young to be left to play near a prop, and that is a huge safety risk. It would be like having these same kids handling a real gun like a play thing. Obviously some adult took the photo, but didn't think carefully or seriously enough about what they were allowing or promoting the kids to do.
    I am not sure what the "prop lecture" means, but kids will imitate what you do, not what you say.
    I know the prop is not turning, but the best practice is to never let kids or anyone else near the prop arc. The best image that I used with my kids is that the prop is like and angry or crazy man with a big sword and he may start swinging it any minute at your head.
    I really hate to see photos of anyone , even warbird vets leaning on a prop.
    I personally know of two people hit by props, one a CFI who lived and one a 25 year vet A&P who was killed. Recently at Mckinney airport east of Dallas a lady was given a ride, the allowed to exit the plane while it was still running and walked into the prop. She lived, but lost an eye and an arm.
    The safe way to do it, and there should be few exceptions, it to always shut off the engine before letting any passenger near or getting in or out of a plane.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOCOMMANDER View Post
    Attachment 1863Attachment 1865Did not get to mech shop for new pic, this is plane with grandkid groundcrew.
    Art is below elevator as if swing was attached to it, about 24" long. And yes the kids got the Prop Lecture.
    So here's my question.....how far can your "ground crew" actually pull it?

I love the cruciform tail on your bird. I've included them on both of our designs so far.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Recently at Mckinney airport east of Dallas a lady was given a ride, the allowed to exit the plane while it was still running and walked into the prop. She lived, but lost an eye and an arm.
    No offense but that's as much her fault as the pilot's. The pilot is to blame for letting her out of the aircraft while the engine is running and she's at fault for lacking the common sense not to hop off the front of the wing with the prop right there and turning (I don't care how unfamiliar one is with aircraft, the noise and "wind" is coming from up there...). As my grandfather was fond of saying "Common sense is an uncommon virtue".

The safe way to do it, and there should be few exceptions, it to always shut off the engine before letting any passenger near or getting in or out of a plane.
    Unless the plane is on fire, no one should get out with the engine running. Even with a patient who is crumping (I hate to use the word "crashing" in this setting), we don't start to offload the air ambulance that I work on part time with the engines started. This is even with the fact that the exit is at the rear of the cabin behind the wings and the props are in front of the wings. Even if we're just hopping out to grab something we forgot in the ambulance....the engines get shut down.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Hi Bill, I thought about it before I posted that pic, and did post fully expecting to get flamed, Your response though was well stated and I do appreaciate that. The prop lecture was exactly along the lines you posted, and recieved as well as 2 and 3 year olds can recieve. It's up to us to protect everyone around our planes and the decision to post that particular pic was a consious one, thanks for your comment.

The Ground Crew is better at following the plane while Grandpa pushes!