Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tora, Tora, Tora

Quite the discussion, and I'll add my two cents. I've lived the last 25 years in Houston and attend Wings Over Houston every year - so I see the Tora, Tora, Tora act every year. I believe it very much honors the USA and the people of that great generation. It starts with Pearl Harbor, but then goes on through the conflict and conveys how Allied and American ingenuity, engineering, determination and power won the war. I have always thought this act to be quite honoring to the legacy of our forces in WWII. Not sure if OSH will get the full show we get in Houston, since OSH is so much farther from the Commemorative Air Force home base in Texas, but watch and listen to the narration, and I believe most will appreciate the message.

I think the Tora, Tora, Tora presentation this year at Oshkosh is perfectly appropriate. It's not like AirVenture is out trying to make a political statement of any kind. In my opinion, in performing the Tora, Tora, Tora show, AirVenture is not out to honor any particular nationality, race or army; their position is to honor the aircraft that flew at Pearl Harbor, afterall, this is an airshow, not a political arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    ...I guess they did attack the Lusitania, but now now are going back a bit...I'd take a Hyundai if it was for free.
    yep, RMS Lusitania is too early for WWII, try this one instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICy5P1pKy5A

hyundai is a south korean company. south korea never attacked USA, s'fars i know.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzieandgracie View Post
    I think the Tora, Tora, Tora presentation this year at Oshkosh is perfectly appropriate. It's not like AirVenture is out trying to make a political statement of any kind. In my opinion, in performing the Tora, Tora, Tora show, AirVenture is not out to honor any particular nationality, race or army; their position is to honor the aircraft that flew at Pearl Harbor, afterall, this is an airshow, not a political arena.
    And I still say they should include a re-enactment of the World Trade Center coming down.....same difference. After all they were American airliners and this is an airshow.
    No political statement just a complete lack of common sense and respect for the thousands that died that day. And gee it's so cool looking - ooh, ahhh...
    !
    Last edited by flyingriki; 05-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.

For those who think the Tora, Tora, Tora "show" is so great, I suggest they go to the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor and discuss the "fantastic" re-creation of the Japanese attack and how "appropriate" it is.

I can appreciate seeing enemy aircraft and I can enjoy seeing them restored and flown. Making a carnival sideshow of the vicious attack on December 7, 1941 is not appropriate anymore than seeing a re-creation of dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

However, this is still a somewhat free country and no one yet has forced me to watch Tora, Tora, Tora, so for those of you who cherish this waste of avgas, enjoy. I'll be enjoying an adult beverage or two nearby. Power for Peace............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgE2K...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Lindberg; 05-17-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    I can appreciate seeing enemy aircraft and I can enjoy seeing them restored and flown. Making a carnival sideshow of the vicious attack on December 7, 1941 is not appropriate anymore than seeing a re-creation of dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
    Well said, my point exactly. Spent a couple hours polishing a Zero at Chino a couple weeks ago. Very interesting plane and the pilot had a lot of good things to say about it. To see it glorified as to the thousands they killed that day - no way - not even cool. Sad to see so many don't recognize this. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Well said, my point exactly. Spent a couple hours polishing a Zero at Chino a couple weeks ago. Very interesting plane and the pilot had a lot of good things to say about it. To see it glorified as to the thousands they killed that day - no way - not even cool. Sad to see so many don't recognize this. Very sad.
    I would tend to agree. I don't think there should be any glorification of war on either side but it smacks strongly of hypocrisy. We have no problem portraying thousands of people being killed in other engagements. You know....so long as they happen to march under another flag or be a different color than us.

However, if you want to see warplanes flying and doing more than just loops, you kind of have to tolerate portrayals of what they did. Politics aside (and that's all this is debate revolves around), anyone who flew an airplane in combat is deserving of some tacit respect. I've never seen a combat pilot spit in the face of a former adversary and call him a coward or murderer.

Of course Riki, you're going to disagree and tell me I'm wrong but we're each entitled to our opinions. It's one of the things that makes this country marginally tolerable most of the time.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I would tend to agree. I don't think there should be any glorification of war on either side but it smacks strongly of hypocrisy. We have no problem portraying thousands of people being killed in other engagements. You know....so long as they happen to march under another flag or be a different color than us.
    Perhaps, but I march under the flag that bears stars and stripes in colors of red, white and blue, so if being a patriot is being a hypocrite then that is what I am. The last time I checked, nobody was trying to escape out of here. Though EAA is an organization that welcomes people from all over the world, I don't think it has yet become a wing of the United Nations.

We would quote Blazzing sadles when I was in the Navy. "Mongo only pawn in game of life ! " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10 That pretty much summed it up.

Purely my own personal opinion on this issue, but how many folks under the age of say, 50, actually bother to take a moment and remember what happened at Pearl Harbor on December 7 each year? I'd wager that it's not very many. My birthday happens to fall on December 7, so I have a built-in reminder. Some of you feel that the Tora! Tora! Tora! act is celebrating the attack on Pearl Harbor, and I disagree. I think it is commemorating the event, the loss of lives, America's entry into the war, and helping to make sure that current and future generations DO NOT FORGET. Beyond that, strip away all historical connotations of the act and what it represents, and you have a super cool air show performance with lots of radial noise, smoke, and some excellent pyro. It's simply fun to watch.

But again, let's not confuse "celebrate" with "commemorate." The Tora! Tora! Tora! act does the latter in my opinion.

Zack