Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tora, Tora, Tora

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Did you also hear grumbling from vets about Pappy? I sure have!
    Likewise. I've also seen those same vets (and others) buy drinks for both German and Japanese veterans. One of my most vivid memories as a kid (I used to hang around the VFW hall in my hometown) was when one of the former P-51 jocks walked in with one of his friends who was visiting. His "friend" happened to have been Erich Hartmann. I remember that comment being made that "fighter pilots are fighter pilots and no one can ever understand one like a fellow pilot regardless of which country they flew for."
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    If memory serves... Tora! Tora! Tora! is about the attack on Pearl Harbor... not sure why a 29 would be dropping nukes anyway.

Perhaps you are saying that we should have an American response to that display? Not sure...
    Oh you know that little group of reenactors will be in on this. We have to give them something to do to justify their presence and taking up parking for aircraft.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Goggles

Zack,

As a Cub was flying during the Pearl Harbor raid, a Cub should be a part of this Tora,Tora,Tora act. I will volunteer as long as I don't have to fly in the flames.

Rick, do you need a copilot/cameraman for this flight? If so, I call dibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    If memory serves... Tora! Tora! Tora! is about the attack on Pearl Harbor... not sure why a 29 would be dropping nukes anyway.
    Maybe we should reenact the entire war in the pacific in the course of an airshow. We can start with the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor, get some torpedo bombers to do the battle of Midway, get some B-25's to show us a short field carrier takeoff and bomb Tokyo, and finish it of with two atomic detonations.

Ask Rick if he knows how to make a mushroom cloud.

Banned
    I'm at a loss to understand what the fuss is all about here. The TTT show is really not unlike the Warbirds extraveganza we've seen on Friday and Saturday at Osh, infact it's identical in presentation and execution. About 8-10 replica Hollywood Zeros and torpedo bombers flying repititious circular patterns with smoke, big pyro and an announcer providing a history lesson. For me, like watching NASCAR in the air---booorrriiing and uninspiring!! Go ahead...I'm ready for your best shots.

For me, like watching NASCAR in the air---booorrriiing and uninspiring!!
    Pretty much my take on most aspects of airshows. I'd much rather just watch the standard airport traffic that is associated with Oshkosh. The only time I paid attention last year was when FIFI arrived and even then I just watched her come in from back by one of the vendor pavilions. It's one of the few times that watching an airplane has made me so happy I almost teared up.

Banned
    Steve, I agree. Seeing FIFI last year is in my top 5 highlights of attending many years of AV. I had never seen a B-29 in person so it was quite a thrill to watch it fly and then to actually view it up close and touch it....priceless!

Banned
    To Lindberg, the thread originator here who posed the question, "What would Pappy Boyington say?" Well, I met him and talked to him in 1981 at Osh where he had a booth selling and signing copies of his autobiography at the height of his popularity just after Baa Baa Black Sheep went off the air. Pappy was a physically large and imposing figure who was gruff and jagged around the edges. He spoke his mind without fear of consequences, was not enamoured with authority figures and didn't give a crap about political or cultural correctness.

So what would he say? He'd say, "I want to get together with any surviving Japanese pilots I dog fought with, open a bottle of whiskey and remember the best years of my lucky life."

So what would he say? He'd say, "I want to get together with any surviving Japanese pilots I dog fought with, open a bottle of whiskey and remember the best years of my lucky life."
    If I recall correctly, he actually did that at one point.