Thread: Ultralight Rides Available?

Ultralight Rides Available?

Will we be able to purchase rides on ultralights this year? If so, does anyone know approximately where they would be located?

Thank you in advance!!
    Ron Osborn

Isn't that illegal?

skeeter

Goggles

for $10.00 I will put goggles on you and let you ride in the back of my pickup---its almost the same

Ron, in past years going down to the ultra light area, near the south end of the main runway, and watching them fly and usually getting a ride has been one the high points of both EAA Osh and Sun N Fun. If one is a serious customer for buying a plane, then often the dealer would do a short ride. It helps to go first thing in the morning when they are not so busy, and be polite. If one guy can't do it, then try another. And be fair about the price, don't expect them to do it for free. Usually about $50 to $75 seemed to be a fair price for the 15 minute flight, about once around the pattern.

Now, I know ultralights have in some cases fallen off in recent years, maybe more of them are LSAs. But if you don't try you don't fly. I have probably gotten flights more than half the times I have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    Isn't that illegal?

skeeter
    I'm not sure if it is or not, but I would guess that it it would depend on how you wrangle it or word the arrangement. Usually the practice (at least in my experience) is just to put it down as a "training flight" for the passenger. Then again, I've never carried a passenger in an ultralight as the only other time I have flown with another person in one was when I was learning to fly them.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

There are two forms of rides generally available. First, if you go to a vendor in the UL area and express interest in purchasing a bird, they often will make a demonstration ride for you. My wife was quite interested in powered parachutes a few years back and got a nice ride in one. There are also frequently one or two guys giving free rides in breezies (not technically ultralight, but just as fun). Again, there's no charge, though unless you are a "Young Eagle" or one of the show volunteers, the line can be quite daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There are two forms of rides generally available. First, if you go to a vendor in the UL area and express interest in purchasing a bird, they often will make a demonstration ride for you. My wife was quite interested in powered parachutes a few years back and got a nice ride in one. There are also frequently one or two guys giving free rides in breezies (not technically ultralight, but just as fun). Again, there's no charge, though unless you are a "Young Eagle" or one of the show volunteers, the line can be quite daunting.
    Charging for 2-place rides at the ultralight strip is prohibited during Airventure. Also flight instruction is not allowed during the event so you can't charge it that way either. Dealers and pilots can give free rides and there is nothing to prevent you from offering a "gratuity" (it's nice to offer) but the exchange of cash on the flightline implies improper prohibited activities.

Actually getting the ride is the hard part. It's easier and better to locate a dealer or instructor in your area for a proper safe and relaxed introduction to light plane flying.
    Last edited by Dan Grunloh; 05-22-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    for $10.00 I will put goggles on you and let you ride in the back of my pickup---its almost the same
    No, you have to ride on the hood.