Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tora, Tora, Tora

Tora, Tora, Tora

Looks like we are going to honor the pilots who attacked Pearl Harbor at AirVenture 2012. That would not have happened a few years ago when a lot of WWII pilots still came to Oshkosh. Going to be interesting to see "politically correct" this will be presented. I doubt we will see a B-29 dropping it's simulated egg as that would be very most likely considered "inappropriate."....... What would "Pappy" Gregory Boyington say?

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of Nagasaki.

I think it's a stretch to say we're honoring the Japanese. This is just a "reenactment" for the crowd. I'm sure the narration will have the usual pro-US military flavor it always does. Even if you go to Ford Island and to the Pacific Air Museum which still has bullet holes in the windows, you will see displays on the Japanese. Hard to talk about WWII without involving them.

It would be really cool if they could get an Interstate Cadet and do a Cornelia Fort flyby in the middle of the "battle."

Of course, this is most likely just going to be big booms from Rick's Inedible Pyro to please the Airventure Lawn Chair masses. At least it's not the darn jet truck again.

I don't see this as honoring the pilots--just part of american history
    Don't see too many people getting pissed off when the ME109 or the FW 190 fly at Oshkosh
    This reminds me of My Dads 80th birthday--I gave him a new Mercedes SUV--he just looked at me and said--not going to take it--I just looked at him and said Why????
    He replied--you wern't around for the big one---I asked what???---He said WWII
    Told him he was in the pacific theatre--never fought a German in his life--besides--the damn car is made in the US. He's 90 now--still driving the SUV--has a few racing stripes on it from putting it in the garage--
    Kevin

We'll just have to wait and see. Seems we have become such an "apologetic" nation these days. Nagasaki? Haven't been there, but I've bee in Hiroshima and lived 325 nautical miles from there for several years. Arigatou gozaimasu!

Lindberg, the Tora! Tora! Tora! team has been to Oshkosh before - I remember seeing them back in the late 90's when I first started coming to AirVenture. I never heard any complaints from the veterans in the crowd back then, and that was 15+ years ago. They put on a heck of a good show. You've got to remember, it was the CAF that originally started the Tora Tora act, and if you think a bunch of good ol' boys from Texas (and I mean that in a very lovingly way) were doing it to honor the Japanese pilots that attacked Pearl Harbor, then I think you need to read up on the CAF. I feel you are making much ado about nothing. As for the B-29, I'm guessing you missed FIFI's performance last year at AirVenture when she ended her flight with a tremendous pyro explosion as she flew west over the crowd line before landing. I guess the ooo's and ahhh's along with the cheering and clapping from the crowd were inappropriate, as was my reaction as I cheered along with them.

Zack

I don't remember any ME109's or FW 190's attacking American soil while peace talks were going on, but what the hell, right (I guess they did attack the Lusitania, but now wew are going back a bit. ........YOU GAVE YOUR DAD A NEW MERCEDES SUV! Good golly! You work for the GSA? Hell, I'd take a Hyundai if it was for free.

Been going to OSH for over 27 years now. Yep I've seen them. My comment was is about whether they are going to be honored this time. Didn't say they should not be flown or shown. Seen FiFi also. Just never seen her drop a simulated nuke. My guess is I won't.

BTW, Zack. I did hear some grumbling from some old WW II vets, when the old jap pilot who supposedly shot down Boyington was selling his book at Oshkosh, but I could understand that. Didn't mean that I did not want him there or does it mean that i don't want to see any WWII jap aircraft.

Did you also hear grumbling from vets about Pappy? I sure have!

Lindberg
    Just pay back for all the things he did for me
    payed for my flying lessons when I was 16
    When I was in College--let me load up my fraternity brothers in the A36 during spring break and fly them to the bahamas .
    One spring break--5 of us flew to New Orleans--got drunk--slept under the wings of the Bonanza--took off early the next morning for Cozumel --about 700 miles over open water---using a ADF !!!
    I look back and think--"what the hell was my dad thinking??"
    Those early years of flying and those trips just got me ready for the yearly trips to Oshkosh !!
    See you guys in 100 Days !!!!
    Kevin

If memory serves... Tora! Tora! Tora! is about the attack on Pearl Harbor... not sure why a 29 would be dropping nukes anyway.

Perhaps you are saying that we should have an American response to that display? Not sure...