Thread: Saturday Night Photos

Saturday Night Photos

Hi Gang! Here are just a few of the many photos I got from Saturday Night's Airshow...click on each thumbnail to enlarge. Enjoy : )

Gale Hansen
    Last edited by ndav8r; 07-31-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Wow! Those are fantastic photo's Gale!!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Gale,

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Great photos!

Best photos I have ever seen of fireworks! May I ask what equipment/settings you used to capture this? Thanks for posting them!

Great photos, Loved Saturday's night airshow! Hope you don't mind adding a fireworks photo!
    Name:  IMG_5200.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  102.5 KB
    Michael Goetzman - Milwaukee WI
    https://picasaweb.google.com/goetzman

Awesome pictures! Those were some amazing fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Rampey View Post
    Best photos I have ever seen of fireworks! May I ask what equipment/settings you used to capture this? Thanks for posting them!
    Hey there Vin:
    I used a Nikon D200 Digital SLR on a Bogen Tripod. For the Fireworks Photos, I stopped the lens aperature down to about F22 to capture narrow firework trails. The shutter was set on "bulb", triggering with an electronic cable release. I follow the firework rocket going up to almost it's peak elevation, locking the tripod, and opening the shutter by watching what I want to capture. If I go too long, I get too much drift. Watch your winds. I have a Sony F828 I usually set the shutter to about 1/8 to 1/2 second exposures. As far as the aerial aircraft displays is still a learning experience to me. I would first set the lens to wide angle and watch his routine to see where his preformance airspace would be. Then I would just set a medium aperature setting and open the shutter with a lot of patience! I would "look" over the top of the camera to see the visual range. I am thinking of making a wire frame viewfinder like my old 4x5 cameras have to get an exact frame of things. ONE think I do, is go to manual focus since some cameras can't lock in very good on an aerial subject at night. I would prefocus on a light on the ground about the same distance as the aerial display, and with a smaller aperature setting it should capture the image in focus.
    Note to Kamic: Very Excellent Firework/silhouette...very harmonizing and excellent composition!
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments!
    Gale Hansen
    Valley City, ND