Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to put a Piet on a diet?

450kg is nearly 1000 pounds... not only is it likely that you can build lighter than this, but it probably won't fly if you don't. Most Air Campers are somewhere around the 700 pound (320kg) range.

Thanks, Mark, but I think we may be talking apples and oranges. Bernie Pietepol listed the original Air Camper empty weight at 610 lbs, though most are definitely a little heavier than that. That 450 kg limit for European microlights is gross weight ready to take off with two passengers, fuel, etc. Air Camper gross weight is listed at 995-1000 lbs so definitely doable as a microlight. The problem, of course, is that while fuel, oil (and water if you've got a radiator) weigh the same as they did in 1929, many people do not. Still, with a little care, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the weight down (perhaps ponying up the money for a Rotax 912) and it would be great fun to bring an antique-looking Piet' to fly-ins to play with the tube-and-dacron, composite and metal modern microlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    450kg is nearly 1000 pounds... not only is it likely that you can build lighter than this, but it probably won't fly if you don't. Most Air Campers are somewhere around the 700 pound (320kg) range.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Ahh, I see. I was indeed thinking empty weight.

Happy Jim Wills Pietenpol Wing Spar Mods

Hi Rob - I bought the original plans from Don Pietenpol in 1994 - never really got serious, and now I find myself in the UK - having to build following the UK rules - these include the Wills plans. There are lots of changes from the original plans, some of them good.......I think the wing spar design is a material/cost savings as you need long pieces of 1" x 1" (or 1 1/8") spar caps with 1/8" ply webs in place of the solid spar. It is probably lighter (I have not done the comparison) but certainly makes it easier to find the material.

I do not know if you can still purchase the Wills plans from Jim - they are wrapped up in lots of legal jargon that prevent you from making more than one aircraft, copying, etc. but I think his contact info is on the LAA website. You can let me know if you can't find it, I can dig it out.

If you can get to Brodhead, you will certainly get a ride and see for yourself the load issues. Talk to Piet pilots and you will have the facts. You (or maybe it was another poster) mentioned contacting James Buco - I think you meant Alan James, builder and pilot of G-BUCO - a UK Piet flying here now for 20 years! Alan is a great guy and will answer any questions you have, I am certain.

Another friend of mine suggested that if a person can physically fit in the front pit of a Piet - then the Piet will fly with them! I think it is as much about flexibility to get into the Piet as weight.......I know, I am old and fat!!!!
    Good luck with your search
    Mark

Matthew
    The Pietenpol is unlikely to meet the wing loading requirements regarding stall speed to meet the 450kg class. The max weight all up allowed in the UK is 1200lbs as a normal light aircraft, most weigh over 700lbs empty!
    Johnnysdrop

Thank, johhnysdrop, but I am pretty sure that in France the wing loading is a guideline and you can show demonstrated flight performance in lieu of the low wing loading. Published stall speed of a Piet' that I have seen is 30 knots (34.5 mph, 55.5 kph) so well within the microlight requirement of 65 kph minimum speed. But, as you suggest, the key is going to be keeping the weight down in order to keep a reasonable useful load.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    You might also consider the Oratex fabric covering system. It uses a heat-activated adhesive (something like tiny little beads of hot glue suspended in water) pre impregnated in the fabric and painted on the structure and attached with an iron. The fabric is pre-tinted and the whole system appears to be very easy to use, though it's not cheap. It could easily knock 10 lbs off the finished weight of the aircraft vs. even a light traditional Dacron covering job. See http://www.g-tlac.com/oratex.html and http://www.oracover.de/index.php/kat...ex_ul_600.html. The colors are limited and not as vivid as other systems, but should work well for an old-fashioned look for a Piet': antique (cream) and Fokker red or Corsair blue, for example.
    In all of North-America the exclusive source of Oratex is actually www.BetterAircraftFabric.com
    We are also glad to send out lots of detail photos of Oratex-covered Pietenpols and get Oratex-Pietenpol Builders in contact with each other.
    See here some Oratex-Pietenpols:
    Best Regards, Lars 907 229 6792

Name:  Ed_Barchik_Finished Piet.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  93.6 KBName:  Ed Barchik_2B.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  86.0 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  89.8 KBName:  Ray_Roethle rroethle330075.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  41.1 KB