Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to put a Piet on a diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Long View Post
    Then -- and don't take this the wrong way -- unless you are an athlete, then you can probably stand to lose a few pounds yourself, which might be easier and certainly safer than trying to shave too many off the Piet'! That's certainly true in my case. ;-)
    Heck yeah...I have 20 or 30 useful load killing pounds right here above my belt!

Rob

Over twenty years ago, both my son, age 12 and I flew a Piet from Ohio to Broadhead with sleeping bags, tent, clothes and other necessities stuffed around us. I was hoping all of this stuff would cushion the impact of a crash. Thankfully, I made many good landings getting there and back.

One of my shortest biannual flight reviews was in this same Piet. As the instructor was a little bit heavy, I had to go around the trees at the end of the runway instead of going over the top as usual. He said “nice job and I have seen enough”. It was a hot day.

A good friend of mine closed off the front hole of his Corvair powered Piet. He is a big man and didn’t even want to be tempted.

Sold my Piet to a man who looked sizeable. I cautioned him about taking lessons in the Piet and to be careful of the load. So, he had his instructor check out the Piet first. Then, on the first flight with both in the aircraft, they couldn't seem to climb and crashed at the end of the runway.

So, if flown correctly, it is a great little airplane. But, weight does matter.

Name:  IMAGE05.JPG
Views: 682
Size:  54.1 KB
    Last edited by Rick Rademacher; 04-09-2012 at 06:29 PM.

IIRC, going with the one-piece wing and not the optional three-piece one would also save some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Long View Post
    There's a longstanding line about Pietenpols, ""You can change Mr. Pietenpol's plans and build a good airplane. But if you don't change them, you'll build a better one." If I were you I would look to proven solutions and change the design itself as little as possible. An A-65 is going to get you 65 strong, low-RPM horses with a big wooden prop and fly the plane well. You can go with the smaller fuel capacity, light wheels and tires and the lightest covering you can manage. Then -- and don't take this the wrong way -- unless you are an athlete, then you can probably stand to lose a few pounds yourself, which might be easier and certainly safer than trying to shave too many off the Piet'! That's certainly true in my case. ;-)
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I don't know much about Piet's except that I think I might like to build one some day. If there are any areas where Douglas Fir is called out as an option in order to save money, use Spruce to save weight. Also if you use Stewart Systems for covering and do so lightly you can save some significant weight. I saved 10-15 lbs on my glider by removing medium weight fabric with two coats of paint and replacing it with lightweight (uncertified) fabric and a thin coat of Stewarts System. Minimal instrumentation can also save a lot over a full panel. the lightest weight engine and prop combo also is natural, although make sure that that doesn't put your empty CG too far aft. Typically the lightest weight solution won't be the cheapest but life is all about compromises.

A silly question- whats your criteria for choosing a design? might help "broaden" our suggestions
    As far as the Piets are concerned , might I suggest you go to the Piet gathering in Broadhead WI- if I recall its a week or two before Oshkosh

Quote Originally Posted by David Darnell View Post
    A silly question- whats your criteria for choosing a design? might help "broaden" our suggestions
    No problem at all...

2 seats
    Wood construction
    Corvair compatible
    Would like to be able to haul 2 adults with full fuel if possible
    Should look good...nothing too...ultralightey (sorry to the UL guys out there, just not my thing)
    Reasonably affordable. I like that the Piet is appx. $10k.

That's about it...the Piet hits all of them except the useful load part. I have to say I've spent some time today looking at the Fisher Celebrity and I'm intrigued. I have an email in to them to see if I could hang a Corvair off the front. I do like the bipes...

Rob

I doubt Bill had a full fuel tank, but the Pietenpol is definitely a heavy lifter.
    LMAO. *snort* OK Zack....I think you spend too much time around the really light end of aircraft and that's got your scale out of calibration.

Corvair compatible
    Why the fixation on the Corvair engine?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Skagit View Post
    No problem at all...

2 seats
    Wood construction
    Corvair compatible
    Would like to be able to haul 2 adults with full fuel if possible
    Should look good...nothing too...ultralightey (sorry to the UL guys out there, just not my thing)
    Reasonably affordable. I like that the Piet is appx. $10k.

That's about it...the Piet hits all of them except the useful load part. I have to say I've spent some time today looking at the Fisher Celebrity and I'm intrigued. I have an email in to them to see if I could hang a Corvair off the front. I do like the bipes...

Rob
    Love to see interest in the Pietenpol... I would agree with Zach that you visit the Pietenpol forum at http://forums.matronics.com/viewforu...05e91f66acf212

Rob, when you state "reasonably affordable" I think you are generally correct in relative terms... but unless you have a good supply of materials or are a good scrounger, I think you'd be hard pressed to build a completed airplane with engine conversion for $10k. I was hoping to complete mine for $12-$15... it looks like I'll be pressing $20k before I'm done, but I'm not upset about that at all. As my first project, there are some things that I had no idea about... plus, I was starting with an empty shop, so I've had to gather all my materials along the way. I'm not saying any of this to discourage you, and there are some things I could have done a little cheaper, but to each their own.

@Steve... Why the fixation on the Corvair? Simple... smooth running 100HP that looks and sounds great. Many say that flying behind a Corvair feels like having an electric motor out front. More? The conversion process can be accomplished by anyone. Maintenance is easy and affordable (I picked up a cylinder for $10). Lighter than an O-200 and MUCH smoother. With 1.7million manufactured, they are widely available.

Shazam! Becky Shipman's engine as completed at the recent Corvair College #22 in Georgetown, Texas.
    Name:  DSC00929.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  77.7 KB

Want to hear what one sounds like? Click this link to see John Franklin's engine run for the first time, also at Corvair College #22. http://www.10.eaachapter.org/apps/vi...air-college-22-

Why the fixation on the Corvair? Simple... smooth running 100HP that looks and sounds great. Many say that flying behind a Corvair feels like having an electric motor out front. More? The conversion process can be accomplished by anyone. Maintenance is easy and affordable (I picked up a cylinder for $10). Lighter than an O-200 and MUCH smoother. With 1.7million manufactured, they are widely available.
    Cool. I've have zero experience with them one before so I figured I would ask. I don't have much use for a 100 hp engine but it's still good to know.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Well, I'm not the expert on wood aircraft around here, but will throw out one name- Roger Mann. Understand all of his designs are wood.