Better aircraft fabric

Has anyone had any experience with this:

http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

it sounds almost too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with this:

http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

it sounds almost too good to be true.
    There was the John Steere reserve grand champion airplane called "Bodacious"

Also a Tailwind builder has used it.

It's rather expensive. I would seriously consider it even so, though, because I hate painting, and because it's so light. Lead times for materials from Germany can be an issue. Took forever to get a sample kit when I was considering a lower wing recover to make repairs, but in the end I didn't have to recover so I never tried the samples. Some people don't like it because it's not super shiny, but neither were new Cubs out of the factory.

Read ALL of the installation instructions before you make a commitment. That stuff requires a LOT of attention to detail.
    It may be worthwhile on a new plane, but I decided against it for a recover.

John

There is a long thread over on the SuperCub forum with a guy recovering with Oratex including numerous "how to" videos. In his opinion, it's the greatest thing since sliced break. I've done minor repairs with it for special circumstances. It works OK and is light weight. Would I do a full recover with it on one of my planes? No. I'd still use either nitrate/butyrate dope with a Urethane finish or Stewart as a safer system. But some of the guys that compete in the STOL competitions use Oratex because of it's super light weight.

As mentioned by Dana, it saves on painting. Painting is a lot of work and (IMHO) not a lot of fun. I figure every time I pick up a spray gun, it is a perfect opportunity to foul up a really nice airplane. Mistakes in dope sprays are easy to fix. Mistakes in finish coats usually become permanent, so you do your best to mask/hide the errors. Nothing like spraying 19 perfect coats of dope and finish polyurethane only to foul up the finish on the 20th coat. Been there, done that.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 03-03-2016 at 02:09 PM.

I had a nice email discussion with the head of the company. Sounds like a good option for a lot of planes. However, in my case, a recover would have cost about 75% of the value of my Fly Baby. I figure it was about twice what a normal fabric/latex paint recover would cost.

Makes sense with something like an antique or classic with some value.

Ron Wanttaja

Yes, it's nice stuff, but not yet legal in the USA on certificated aircraft, you know, the ones with some value...unless you think Bearhawks and the designs of Wag Aero, Steen, Marquardt, and Pitts may have some value, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Makes sense with something like an antique or classic with some value.
    Oh my, wouldn't that be like putting a flat panel instrument display in a Monocoupe? Yuck!

The USA is about the only country where it is not certified (yet). Certified in Canada, Europe, NZ, for all Pipers, Maules etc.
    See here some planes covered in it:Name:  Gord_Dyck_Kitfox_MK2_C-FDVB a 1988 Kitfox Mk2.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  95.9 KBName:  2016-01-30_1.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  69.7 KBName:  Bearhawk_LSA_Oratex08.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  92.8 KBName:  image004 (1).jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  7.7 KBName:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  96.5 KBName:  IMG_1617.jpg
Views: 2190
Size:  88.7 KBName:  photo14).jpg
Views: 2259
Size:  92.0 KBName:  Jonathan_Sicard.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  93.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Oh my, wouldn't that be like putting a flat panel instrument display in a Monocoupe? Yuck!
    Well... it pretty much *looks* like standard fabric, so I don't see it as a problem.

A classic or antique should have Stits, either, but it seems a lot more common these days than the original cotton or linen.

Ron Wanttaja