Thread: neoprene for bedding fuel tanks

neoprene for bedding fuel tanks

Anyone know of a good source for neoprene (or equivalent) "tape" for bedding/padding fuel tanks? I've searched the web and all my aviation catalogs to no avail.
    Any ideas on a substitute for neoprene?

I'm installing some 7 gal. Mini Max tanks in the wings of an Indy T-bird I'm building, and I can't build the mounting frames until I pin down the exact dimensions. Without the bedding in hand I can't move forward.

Thanks, guys

What are you padding them in terms of? Are you looking to pad them for crash protection or vibration reduction or something else?

As far as neoprene suppliers goes, I've dealt with Eastex before when I needed to make some gauntlet gloves to keep the palms and back of my hands warmer while diving. http://www.eastexproducts.com/neoprene.php
    Last edited by steveinindy; 04-06-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for, but the ANTI-CHAFE MOLDING sold by Aircraft Spruce and most other suppliers is pretty much standard on most strap type fuel tank mountings. ACS part #05-01800 Fits 1" wide metal straps.

If you are looking for a bedding tape you might try an automotive glass shop and ask for glass setting tape.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Does it have to be tape? You can buy neoprene by the sheet in various thickness from 1/16" on up, cut into strips then attach with contact cement. I found some 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide on ebay a few months back for a similar project. It's cheaper to buy the sheet and cut it with a highly modified pizza cutter. I've done the same thing in the past with fuel tank straps but I prefer the rubber that's molded into a [ shape.

I just bought a sheet of 1/8" neoprene from W.W. Graingers. They were very reasonable on the price. What I bought was a 1'X2' square. If you used something like that, you would have to glue it to your tank straps. Do a google search for Graingers, or McMaster-Carr. Either one of them should have it, and may have something more suitable for your application.

When in doubt, check out McMaster Carr. There are about 200 different types of tape on this page, I'm sure one of them will work: http://www.mcmaster.com/#tape/=hbl5ds
    Don...
    BushCaddy N2C
    http://www.donsbushcaddy.com