Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C Grade Nuts

A/C Grade Nuts

Hi All, I have always, and will continue, to use AN bolts, but what about nuts? Is there any difference between an AN365 and a Nyloc that I can by at the hardware store?

Thanks for your insight,
    Dave

Aircraft hardware and other hardware that is marked specifiying compliance with a consensus standard is covered under the Fastener Quality Act which is a law requiring fastener products to meet advertised standards. If one can verify a nut meets the manufacturer's peformance standard, can certainly use it.

Probably not from a strength standpoint, but the hardware nut will be zinc plated and the aircraft one will be cadmium for better corrosion resistance.

It would probably not fail but.............. for peace of mind wouldn't it be better to pay a few more pennies for real aircraft hardware? Is it really worth the savings!!!??!?!? When I see non conforming hardware on a homebuilt aircraft it raises red flags.

I would use genuine aircraft hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    It would probably not fail but.............. for peace of mind wouldn't it be better to pay a few more pennies for real aircraft hardware? Is it really worth the savings!!!??!?!? When I see non conforming hardware on a homebuilt aircraft it raises red flags.

I would use genuine aircraft hardware!
    Bingo. I mean I'll use non-certified glass panel technology (backed up by a set of certified steam gauges) but when it comes to the things that keep the wings, tail and other parts where they belong, I tend to be a stickler because the idea of having a couple of minutes prior to impact after an in-flight breakup to contemplate whether it was worth saving the cash on non-standard parts is not high on my list of things I want to do.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

In my experience, real aircraft hardware doesn't cost any more than hardware store stuff. Why take the chance?

It wasn't a price issue, but convenience. I hate being in the middle of a project and having to wait for an order from Spruce. I keep a pretty good inventory but occassionally come across something I don't have in the parts bin. Unfortionately, the local supply for AN hardware isn't very good.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Unfortionately, the local supply for AN hardware isn't very good.
    Really? I used to live in Marana and always thought the Tucson area was pretty good for finding aircraft parts and supplies.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

No, Only one a/c parts house left and, although they're very helpful and friendly, they're pretty thinly stocked. Plus, they're nearly an hour drive from my home. The local hardware specalists have almost entirely dropped AN hardware from their inventory citing liabillity issues.

Yea, I hate waiting on parts also but at the end of the day I can sleep at night.