Thread: Wright B Flyer crash in Springfield Ohio Today

Sad Wright B Flyer crash in Springfield Ohio Today

The Wright ‘B” Flyer’s newest airplane crashed today a few miles from the Springfield airport. It is my understanding that two people were killed. Not sure who was flying in the aircraft. I had been thinking about helping with this aircraft. Very sad day for aviation and the families of those lost.

Follow this link for details of this aircraft.
    http://www.aviationdayton.com/news/news-stories/news-stories_files/2011-6-17-new-Wright-B-Flyer.php

A bit about the crash

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/springfield-news/2-killed-in-wright-replica-plane-crash-1219113.html

I was just at the museum a couple months ago, talking with the builders/pilots about the new replica.

So sad... my thoughts are with their families and all the Wright B volunteers.

EDIT: Updated article now online...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...h-1219113.html
    Last edited by sdilullo; 07-30-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

I read about this on CNN. I flipped out, thinking it might be a mistake and it was the Curtis Pusher that crashed. It still broke my heart for the families of the two killed and the loss of such a treasure as that replica.

I really feel for the families involved. I hope there is some comfort in that the pilots were doing something they loved.

As for us, it is a reminder of the debt of gratitude that we all should have for those early pioneers of flight. We currently have an embarrassment of riches of safe, capable aircraft. They had to learn the hard way what works and what doesn't. I think these replica aircraft certainly show what courage and determination the early birds possessed.

Rick,

I got your letter today. I have met you. I kept my plane at Mad River for some time and then at a friend's field about 5 miles west of Springfield. I'm back at Springfield now, but still get to Urbana on occasion.
    I will be very willing to help you with any thing I can. I plan to retire this year so I should have more time in the future for activities like this. I will make time to get up during the MERFI fly-in. I need to spend more time flying my Cub. I fly the Wright "B" Flyer and it occupies too much of my time.
    I'll see you in September if not before. Tom Printz (at Mad River) is [hopefully] finishing my annual soon.
    Cheers,
    Mitch Cary

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
    an email to me on July 6 --- both men will be missed!!!