Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mosquito visit to turbo's pad

Tongue Out mosquito visit to turbo's pad

Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

​VERY cool!

Nice! How about another video of him starting it up on the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Check 6 View Post
    Nice! How about another video of him starting it up on the water?
    Let me guess, you've tried it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Let me guess, you've tried it.

Bob
    No, I haven't had the opportunity as the helos I used to fly have "pop-out" floats, not fixed floats. I have heard the stories of what happens.

Let me guess!...it has something to do with gyroscopic precession. I bet it's fun to watch from the shore, but not so much from on-board, might make for a fun video.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Let me guess!...it has something to do with gyroscopic precession. I bet it's fun to watch from the shore, but not so much from on-board, might make for a fun video.

Joe
    It is a torque issue. As the main rotor blades start spinning the helo starts turning in the opposite direction until there is tail rotor effectiveness.

If torque doesn't get you or loss of tail rotor effectiveness at low rpm doesn't get you, translating tendency as rpm builds will.

Picture this: the blade in front is moving to the left (force #1) and the reaction moves the nose right. Blade at the rear (force #2) does the same and moves the tail left. This is a good time to spin up the anti torque rotor on the tail. It produces force #3 and pushes to the right.

Two forces moving the A/C to the right and only one pushing to the left, and all more or less equal means "translating tendency." Its why a helo hovers a little left side low. Friction on the ground prevents any start problems. Lets now move out to the middle of the lake far from obstacles and crank her up. Clear the area. Stand back. She will do about a couple of rotations and when the tail rotor becomes effective, it ends up moving rapidly to the right. Do this with a low time pilot in a confined pond with 10 kts of wind and you can call Avemco. BTW, there is no such thing as a "Helicopter,sea" rating nor a requirement for any log book endorsement. Be afraid.

Bob

Guys,

I totally forgot about the tail end!!! This would be a real handful for a newbie, or a guy who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Joe

bob, nice reply to the operation on water issue. come on over to http://www.rotaryforum.com/ with your rotory flight knowledge. lots of action there.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI