Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T34A vs T34B

T34A vs T34B

I believe the differences are few between these aircraft. Which is more desirable to own.....and why? Thanks!

Obviously either plane will do acro very well, but it is only legal to do airshow acro, i e Julie Clark in the A model. I think this is because when the military was testing these planes years ago, they found that only the A model would meet FAA spin recovery standards in all situations. The B does it ok, until you get the cg loading rear of center even if still within limits. So I think the restriction from way back in those days still legally applies to the B.
    I think, not sure, that the B actually has a slightly different wing, maybe less dihedreal or washout than the A which accounts for the spin recovery difference.

Some years back a group of B owners got a program to try to overcome this restriction on B acro. They went through a whole test program for spins and recoveries. All went well when they started at the forward cg limit, and as they moved aft. However, just as in the old days, as they got near the aft cg limit the problem began just as it was years before, so they only confirmed this fact.

So just on this fact the A may be more desirable. The A has adjustable seats, that I prefer and fixed rudder pedals. B has fixed seats and adjustable pedals. B has a pressure blow off emergency canopy, which in unlikely to be needed, but may be sightly better. A has a normal cable release for the canopy. It seem the B has a little more room in the panel, can't recall why.

They are almost the same plane. Both are amazingly easy to fly, look good, do nice acro, and can serve ok for cross country. If I had to choose one plane for a forced or emergency landing it would be T-34. With the stall about 48 knots they can be landed slow and on a short runway. They are not fire breathing on performance, being heavy, and with no supercharger. The A, I owned for 10 years cruised at about 140 knots burning 13 gph, holds 50 gallons. It is common to put in larger engines than the 225 hp, either 285 or 300. The 225 hp will climb about 1000 feet at sea level, but requires patience to get much above 12,000 '.It will cruise with a T-6 as long as you are down low, but there is not substitute for a supercharger up high.
    If anyone is looking to buy one or get some tips, I can help. Also there is a very active T-34 association and good formation clinics.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.

I couldn't resist a T-34B story. In 1969 I was stationed at Subic Bay in the Philippines. I belonged to the flying club at Cubi Point. They had two T34B models that had been surveyed out of the Navy and I used to rent one, as a 20 year old for the huge sum of $9.00 and hour - wet. Gas was 16 Cents a gallon so at 14 gallons an hour that was $2.25 an hour for fuel. Even on my E-4 pay of $234.00 a month it was still a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PF Flyer View Post
    Which is more desirable to own.....and why?
    the B. because it's painted Navy on the side.

Go Navy.....but I think I want to do some acro! Hard to imagine you can't in the B.

Go Navy.....but I think I want to do some acro! Hard to imagine you can't in the B.
    i have the documentation that i did. including inverted spins, which my instructor wasn't supposed to teach me but he wanted to practice so we did. but that was in my uncle's airplane. hard to imagine YOU can't in the B. thanks for paying for the flight!

I haven't been around aviation long enough. Reading the title of the thread I immediately thought "why are they discussing WWII tanks?"
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I haven't been around aviation long enough. Reading the title of the thread I immediately thought "why are they discussing WWII tanks?"
    To figure out which is the best airplane with which to attack them????
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I'd go with the IL-2 Sturmovik.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I believe the differences are few between these aircraft. Which is more desirable to own.....and why? Thanks!
    I wrote a 2 part article regarding the T-34 that appeared in EAA Warbird Briefing.

Part 1: http://www.eaa.org/warbirdsbriefing/...s/1110_t34.asp

Part 2: http://www.eaa.org/warbirdsbriefing/...s/1111_t34.asp

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

The T-34 Association is located here: www.t-34.com

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Fast Aircraft; 11-20-2012 at 01:26 PM.