Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of roadable aircraft....

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Ahh, the poor Mizar ... Somehow, the fact that, when you get to your destination, you can drive off in a Pinto just isn't a selling point for me... and I'm one of those guys who gets all starry-eyed at the thought of roadable aircraft and flying cars!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Aerocar

So besides not being a type certificated airplane, not being able to leave the airplane parts at the airport, not being able to just use the car portion to drive around, and not being able to back up safely and efficiently, how is Terrafugia better than the Aerocar that was all of these? And TCd in 1956?

A good, used airplane for $80K and $200K for rental cars sounds a lot more practical to me. In addition, I don't have to pay it all up front, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Well, you could always start with a real car:

Carrying on the sacred tradition of flying cars being bad cars...
    ....and of people not learning to properly weld prior to building an aircraft....
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I live in a cabin in the Superior National Forest in the summer just 3 miles from Canada in the Arrowhead of Minnesota.
    The closest airport is 35 miles away over very difficult forest roads - at least an hour drive.
    I have a Cubcrafters Carbon Cub but no place to put a strip on my Forrest property.
    I have been considering buying a Maverick that I could fly from a gravel road about a mile from my house.
    I could keep it in my garage.
    I think it would work but ITEC has not started production and I don't know if their car/airplane is vaporware or real.
    Has anyone been to the "factory"?
    Are they real or just have the one they truck to air shows?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I live in a cabin in the Superior National Forest in the summer just 3 miles from Canada in the Arrowhead of Minnesota.
    The closest airport is 35 miles away over very difficult forest roads - at least an hour drive.
    I have a Cubcrafters Carbon Cub but no place to put a strip on my Forrest property.
    I have been considering buying a Maverick that I could fly from a gravel road about a mile from my house.
    I could keep it in my garage.
    I think it would work but ITEC has not started production and I don't know if their car/airplane is vaporware or real.
    Bill
    At this point in time, there is no practical viable option that is useful for the application you are talking about.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I've never been to their headquarters, but I know they brought at least 3 Mavericks here (to Oshkosh) last year, as we drove them and 2 AeroCars to a local drive-in for lunch. All 3 Mavericks were very real.

Also, in 2010, they didn't truck the prototype to Oshkosh, they drove it 1,400 miles:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=635469588001

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Bill
    Bill,
    A former member of Chapter 32 is an employee of ITEC. One thing about them, the Maverick is a means to an end, not the end. They are a missionary organization that developed the flying car to further their mission. Look here: http://itecusa.org/about.html to learn about them. I saw our former member at OSH in 2010, and we talked about the Maverick a bit (all the ITEC folks were popular to talk to about it!) and about how it would help them in the bush. The last minute or so of this video explains that also: http://bcove.me/r86zulfq

Jim
    PS, I believe Troy (former member) is the one doing some of the flying you see in the video, he is wearing a tan baseball cap. He started in PPCs but I believe he is now a commercial/instrument rated pilot also.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Hi Zack, the flying motorcycle has been around for several years. Go the www.thebutterflyllc.com to see the super sky cycle.

The Aurora Butterfly has the best advertising!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hi Zack, the flying motorcycle has been around for several years. Go the www.thebutterflyllc.com to see the super sky cycle.
    Yep - well aware of that - I interviewed Larry Neal for Timeless Voices down at SNF years ago when he was still working on developing the idea. He's had the finished product here for AirVenture a couple of times now. It's a BIG machine.

Here it is driving around town: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxtv2TaV--I

And here it is flying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Wypa1CySI

And here's Larry talking about it with Aero-News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTlrKmc_g_Y
    Last edited by Zack Baughman; 04-13-2012 at 07:39 AM.