Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros / Cons of Homebuilt vs. certified

Happy Pros / Cons of Homebuilt vs. certified

Hi All - I am new to EAA and am hoping for some insight. I have been flying for about 15 years and currently fly a Cherokee Six. With my kids about ready to go to college, my mission will be changing in the next few years and I am looking to get into something a little smaller and faster. I am considering either building an RV-10 or buying a certificated aircraft (maybe a Mooney or something Mooney-like). My question is this: other than the ability to do my own maintenance, what are the pros / cons of having a homebuilt vs. buying a certificated aircraft? My wife and I are talking about making some flights to the Bahamas, and I have read that taking a homebuilt into another country may have its challenges. Any thoughts on this? Are there any real disadvantages to having an RV vs. a certificated aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Gator88 View Post
    Hi All - I am new to EAA and am hoping for some insight. I have been flying for about 15 years and currently fly a Cherokee Six. With my kids about ready to go to college, my mission will be changing in the next few years and I am looking to get into something a little smaller and faster. I am considering either building an RV-10 or buying a certificated aircraft (maybe a Mooney or something Mooney-like). My question is this: other than the ability to do my own maintenance, what are the pros / cons of having a homebuilt vs. buying a certificated aircraft? My wife and I are talking about making some flights to the Bahamas, and I have read that taking a homebuilt into another country may have its challenges. Any thoughts on this? Are there any real disadvantages to having an RV vs. a certificated aircraft?
    Welcome to the EAA!

You have asked a question that has complex answers, many of which will be dependent on your particular background and expectations.

Your stated choices (building an RV-10 or buying a Mooney) are poles apart in every way possible. It will be easier for others to address your question if you tell us why you are even considering leaving the certificated community. That will provide insights into your goals and aircraft mission needs. What you might consider disadvantages of an aircraft with an experimental airworthiness certificate could be considered wonderful advantages by many of us.

1) How comfortable are you with leaving the tight regulatory environment of certificated aviation?

2) Do you have the mechanical background to build and maintain a full-featured aircraft and avionics?

3) Is your personality suited to seeing a multi-year project through to completion?

4) This one is huge----does your spouse support the two of you flying in a home-made airplane?

5) And related----does your spouse support you spending huge amounts of time and money on the multi-year project away from family activities?

Many of us have encountered and embraced the above challenges, but not everyone can.

By the way, many experimental aircraft fly to the Bahamas each year with no difficulty.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 01-20-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Thanks for your response and indulging the "newbie". My basic thought process is this: I want a 4-place aircraft that is faster than my Six. What I see in common between the RV-10 and Mooney are that both are speedy, 4-place single engine aircraft. Both would be more efficient than the Six. Both would handle my new mission of mainly carrying myself and my wife, but occasionally carrying an additional 2 people. The Six is great for carrying practically anything that we can stuff into it, but I won't need that capability for much longer. What I like about the RV is the short field capability and the efficiency of the fuel burn to speed. I like the fact that I could almost get the performance of a Mooney or Cirrus in an RV-10, but in a more efficient package at a lower cost. In what ways are you thinking the RV and Mooney are such different aircraft - other than one being certified?

In what ways are you thinking the RV and Mooney are such different aircraft - other than one being certified?
    There is a HUGE difference......you have to build the RV-10.

It might be helpful to address the questions I posed in my first response to see if you are interested in building and maintaining your own aircraft. If the answer is positive, you need to get acquainted with local RVers and builders to see if you think you will be comfortable in the experimental community.

Choosing an aircraft on specs is easy--what is more difficult is deciding how it fits your lifestyle and personality.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 01-20-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Sam Buchanan

Let me add to my response:

1. I am fairly comfortable leaving the world of certificated aircraft, but that is part of my original questions. At this point, I don't know what I don't know. My current thinking is that the regulatory environment won't be much different from a flying perspective.

2. I am fairly mechanically inclined. I currently do as much maintenance as is allowed on my Six and have a good relationship with an A&P who helps me and checks my work.

3. That is a big question that I will definitely have to consider. For now, let's assume I finish the project. What I am looking for is are there any real advantages/disadvantages to owning and operating an RV vs. a certificated aircraft. Those answers will definitely factor into whether or not I would even start the project. Another option that I have considered is purchasing a built RV-10.

4. My wife, the boss, is good with a homebuilt.

5. This is where the option of purchasing an RV-10 comes into play.

Thanks again for the response. I look forward to hearing from the brain trust!

Let me add to my response:

1. I am fairly comfortable leaving the world of certificated aircraft, but that is part of my original questions. At this point, I don't know what I don't know. My current thinking is that the regulatory environment won't be much different from a flying perspective.

2. I am fairly mechanically inclined. I currently do as much maintenance as is allowed on my Six and have a good relationship with an A&P who helps me and checks my work.

3. That is a big question that I will definitely have to consider. For now, let's assume I finish the project. What I am looking for is are there any real advantages/disadvantages to owning and operating an RV vs. a certificated aircraft. Those answers will definitely factor into whether or not I would even start the project. Another option that I have considered is purchasing a built RV-10.

4. My wife, the boss, is good with a homebuilt.

Thanks again for the response. I look forward to hearing from the brain trust!
    Those are good answers...now we can get to the nuts and bolts of your inquiry.

You may fly the RV-10 anywhere in US airspace you can fly the Mooney. There may be restrictions in some other countries but I think they can be overcome with appropriate paperwork. Others more knowledgeable than I can chime in on this one.

Operationally, if you purchase a flying RV-10 and have most maintenance performed by an A&P the RV won't be much different than care and feeding of the Mooney. If you want to be more involved, you will be legally entitled to perform all airframe and powerplant work on your RV if you desire, the A&P is only needed for the condition inspection (annual) logbook entry.

For some pilots, the idea of an aircraft that hasn't received FAA regulatory blessing in every aspect is daunting. For many of us...it is liberating.
    Sam Buchanan

One potential issue (if you buy a used homebuilt) is whether your A&P is comfortable with signing off the annual condition inspection. Some A&P's will, many won't.

I think each homebuilder would have slightly different motivations and their own sets of pros and cons for building. Some people are build-a-holics (I mean that in a respectful and good way); they may build multiple aircraft simply for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the experience. For me, I just want to learn something new, and maybe save a little money getting and maintaining an airworthy mission-specific craft. At the moment I am building an auto conversion (Corvair) engine. I am definitely learning new things in this process. I am now looking for an LSA kit with similar specs to the old Zenith 601XL (or the current CH 650) and am looking forward to building it and learning, hands-on, how to work with aluminum (I'm more comfortable with wood, so this is something very new to me). Building will qualify me to perform all future maintenance and repair on both the airframe and engine, saving a lot of money in the long run. I have more time than money, so the build route is really the only viable option for me. One big deal is time. it can take about 1,200 hours, give or take, to complete a homebuilt aircraft. There are some ways to shorten things up, if you have the means. One thing is for sure. Everyone I have seen, or read about, that is successful in completing a flying craft have been motivated, consistent, and diligent. Because of this, homebuilding is not for everyone. I think it just comes down to absolutely knowing your own personal motivations. I am enjoying the learning, and I like building things and getting my hands dirty, and think it will be awesome to fly something that I built. Building is totally different from simply buying a vehicle or appliance, so a lot of inner evaluation about personal values and motivation is essential - if this soul searching isn't honestly done the probability of a successfully completed project is very small. I think this is why so few projects actually get completed. Building anything is a quest; aircraft homebuilding is an endeavor in kinship to the first fully motivated American Homebuilders like the Wright Brothers - thus the phrase "Learn, Build, Fly" ... as opposed to "Shop, Buy, Fly". Nothing really wrong with either philosophy - depending on the motivations and values of the individual. Wish you the best, whatever way you go...

And one of the cons there is that the market is somewhat limited. There's not a lot of RV-10's for sale at any given time so a buyer may not have a lot of choice.

What I am looking for is are there any real advantages/disadvantages to owning and operating an RV vs. a certificated aircraft. Those answers will definitely factor into whether or not I would even start the project.
    Let me take one more cut at this because I know this subject can be overwhelming when you first peer into the experimental universe.

Advantages of RV-10 (some of these are dependent on whether or not you build or buy...I said this was kinda complicated.... )

1) A lot of performance for the price
    2) Access to reasonably priced, amazing avionics that have not yet trickled down to the certificated community at less than breath-taking prices.
    3) Legality of owner-performed maintenance.
    4) The largest, most enthusiastic, well-informed community of owners/builders anywhere. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php
    5) Excellent factory support
    6) Outstanding flight dynamics
    7) Freedom from stifling ($$$$$$$) regulatory restrictions of the certificated universe
    8) Immeasurable pride of ownership, especially if you build it

Disadvantages of the RV-10:
    1) You gotta either build it or buy from a limited pool of aircraft
    2) Each RV-10 is unique, no type certificate.....buyer must be very informed.
    3) Not every potential passenger, family member or A&P will share your enthusiasm for experimental aircraft....some will think you have a death wish if you fly in one (they all have heard of John Denver.........)
    4) Uhhhhhhh..can't think of any others....

The best advice I can offer is for you to get acquainted with local RVers. We are quite proficient at providing $140,000 rides in our planes. This also gives you insight into the lifestyle of the experimental community and differences from those who depend on the gov't to assure the safety of their ride. Experimental is for independent-minded individuals who want to broaden their scope of aviation knowledge and who are self-starters and not afraid to take the path less traveled.

It is a great ride!
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 01-20-2015 at 06:57 PM.
    Sam Buchanan