Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Gilead, Ohio
    Posts
    105
    60 Post, wonder if anyone's mind is changed

    I've used that stuff for decades (regularly) in numerous air cooled engines including a number of aircraft over many hundreds of hours, did it help? no idea, did it hurt anything? no real idea there either, my use was only as an upper cylinder lube though.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    60 Post, wonder if anyone's mind is changed

    I've used that stuff for decades (regularly) in numerous air cooled engines including a number of aircraft over many hundreds of hours, did it help? no idea, did it hurt anything? no real idea there either, my use was only as an upper cylinder lube though.
    I doubt it. I know I do not use it
    Based on what a few mechanics have told me, one of the few uses I would try if needed is for a sticky valve. Fill the cylinder with MMO and pull the prop through to push the MMO against the valve and create a hydraulic lock; let it sit overnight and flush. The solvent aspect of MMO will sometimes fix this problem.

    Tim

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by tspear View Post
    I doubt it. I know I do not use it
    Based on what a few mechanics have told me, one of the few uses I would try if needed is for a sticky valve. Fill the cylinder with MMO and pull the prop through to push the MMO against the valve and create a hydraulic lock; let it sit overnight and flush. The solvent aspect of MMO will sometimes fix this problem.

    Tim
    I would find a new mechanic....

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Gilead, Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I would find a new mechanic....
    I've some personal stories and opinions about so called "Certified" aircraft mechanics, same with "Certified" instructors as well as "Certified" parts" that are not in the least comforting and certainly "Certified" is not all that it is cracked up to be and certainly not all bad either. With regard to the use of MMO, considering the decades of use in countless types of engines by countless individuals with no history whatsoever of causing any failures/damage and countless of those that felt it is helpful that it would be a very reasonable, almost singular conclusion to consider it safe to use in spite of the fact it has not gone through any aircraft certification process. This is not my recommendation to use MMO but my own personal sentiment about the product.
    I used to have a goal to see what was the best mile Per gallon I could get with this Harley I owned and the MPG clearly increased with it's use in test runs. About the only negative aspect ever mentioned about MMO is that it didn't seem to help.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,604
    My comment was not about MM oil but about any mechanic who wants someone to flood the cylinders with anything and cause a hydro lock situation, and to solve a stuck valve problem. I myself like the product and have seen it do some amazing things. I have posted this info before and others just walked over everything I said. I dropped it.

    But here is a personal, I saw it with my own eye's type of thing I did with this stuff.

    I rebuild the axle in a couple trucks. I had all the old axle grease setting for about 6 months in an open container. One day I decide to drain this container and get me a funnel. I stick the funnel in a 50 gallon barrel and pour this fluid into the funnel. It plugs right up and would not drain. If you ever dealt with axle grease its stinks and I did not want to touch it at all.

    I let it drain on its own for about 2 hours and I still had a full funnel. I then grab a drip oil can you use to oil things around the house and shop and dripped TWO drops on top of this greasy sludge. It instantly started flowing, it flowed so fast it made the tornado effect in this grease. After the funnel drained it took seconds I poured more of this sludge into the funnel. It plugged up again and would not flow. I took the oil can and put Two drops on top and again it just took off and again made the tornado effect. I drained all that axle grease in just a few mins. To this day it amazes me.

    Tony

  6. #66
    Aaron Novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wi
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I've some personal stories and opinions about so called "Certified" aircraft mechanics, same with "Certified" instructors as well as "Certified" parts" that are not in the least comforting and certainly "Certified" is not all that it is cracked up to be and certainly not all bad either. With regard to the use of MMO, considering the decades of use in countless types of engines by countless individuals with no history whatsoever of causing any failures/damage and countless of those that felt it is helpful that it would be a very reasonable, almost singular conclusion to consider it safe to use in spite of the fact it has not gone through any aircraft certification process. This is not my recommendation to use MMO but my own personal sentiment about the product.
    I used to have a goal to see what was the best mile Per gallon I could get with this Harley I owned and the MPG clearly increased with it's use in test runs. About the only negative aspect ever mentioned about MMO is that it didn't seem to help.
    B-C,
    I think people can be divided into 3 groups on just about any subject, explaining why internet research is futile at times.

    A) people that have little/no understanding of "WHY", and are easily swayed by marketing.
    B) people that have limited understanding of "WHY" and distrust all marketing thinking they know better.
    C) people that have a complete understanding of "WHY" and use that knowledge to make decisions.

    Most people that think they fall into "C", are actually in the "B" group. Few in "A" or "B" will listen to "C", However "A" people will trust a "B". The largest and loudest group is "B". Quietest, smallest, and most seldom heard from usually is a "C" (Mostly because they get tired of group "B" arguing with them) .

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Gilead, Ohio
    Posts
    105
    LOL, not sure what you are saying but I disagree hahaha

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Gilead, Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Tony (1600vw),
    That is quite interesting on the gear sludge flow.
    Those are the type of reports that are beneficial, regardless of the product.

    Ken

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,390
    I have found that many mechanics have some prejudices for or against products or procedures. Sometimes they may know and sometimes not. Think of it like this; if you went to the doctor for a knee pain, would you just take a quick solution or would you want to get a fuller explanation. My doctor showed me my xray, and I can see the thinner than normal cartildge due to years of ski racing and running. We discussed how to deal with it, that certain injections may help, with no real side affects and that I certainly don't need any major surgery soon. I have given up running the annual Boulder- Boulder 10k, too much impact. So Iknow what why and how, not just a quickshot opinion. If the mech tells you something ask why, and it should be a better reason than, "I don't use it". If he doesn't use it, or never has how does he know one way or the other. Also a lot of mechs are not airplane owners, may not be pilots and may not fly anything. I recently went to the NWOC with some of the top pilots in the country and a panel of 6 of the top engine builders, 2 for Merlins, 2 for radials, and 2 for Allisons. Someone asked about the use of CAMGUARD and it brought sort of a blank look to everyone's face on the panel. No one really knew anything except they were generally against it. One of the radial engine guys was even from the SAME TOWN where Camguard is made, yet he was a blank. Not one of these guys had even tried it, probably had not read up on it. I had asked the same question at an earlier meeting, with the same blank looks. And you can bet that virtually no one really does a full and fair test of any additive or probably any oil. By that I mean take 100 new engines, run 50 of them to TBO on one additive and 50 without it and monitor the results with oil analysis and teardowns. Or take a fleet of say Barons and run one engine on one oil and the other on another type. No one even comes close to what would be scientific knowledge, provable, repeatable knowledge. What there often is really is only educated guesses and often more guess than education. In one airplane that I fly the struts in the landing gear can leak as they wear and the seals are hard to find and it takes some major work to replace a seal. I read about an additive, Granville strut seal and asked around. Mechs and owners virtually all gave it a thumbs down, but since they had not used it they really didn't know what they were talking about. So we tried it, very little to lose, it cost $75 and only took an hour to service both struts. AND IT WORKED! Now all the experts said when a seal is worn out you have to replace them. Not so fast, Granville will not repair a seal that is torn or cracked but if the seal is just old and has dried out and shrunk it softens and expands the seal and you can gain another year or so of good service and certainly wait till the annual to replace the seal.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-30-2014 at 10:13 AM.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Franklinton, Louisiana
    Posts
    45
    Ive been using it for years. I had a lifter out of prime on my 2006 GMC truck. Solved the issue but I have to add more every now and then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •