Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Getting back to MMO, there are lots of parts between the fuel tank and combustion chamber that can benefit from a few of the ingredients in MMO. Valves live a very hard life and every little ingredient that can clean carbon off of the valve seat and valves is a good thing. Don't know if MMO is the right answer but I have observed that O-200, C-145 and O-300 operators have fewer of the problems that occur with the top end of those engines when they use MMO in the fuel and oil. Never understood why, but the observation is persistent and the owners of these engines that often need early cylinder work seemed to go longer before having to spend those $$.
    Wes, looked like this operator had different results:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...02LA181&akey=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    OFF the label of the gallon I just bought.

you need to read "OIL TALK FOR DUMMIES" at
    http://www.eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

There are no detergents allowed in Aviation oil. and 2 cycle oil has none because of the metallic additives are not allowed to be burned. It's a EPA thing.

Please site your reference
    Tom,
    Sorry I should have been more clear. Its not uncommon for 2 cycle oils to have both dispersents and detergents. There are other detergents besides metallic ash, and the EPA does not control any of the metallic ash anyway.
    My reference is my employer, and unfortunately as much as I would love to send you internal reports, I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Wes, looked like this operator had different results:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...02LA181&akey=1
    Marty,
    Notice how much was added? Nobody really knows. However it is a sure bet it was well in excess of the 100:1 ish ratio typically used. Mixed at 100:1 there is no octane reduction outside of normal parameters....that has been tested. However mixed at 25:1 you can loose 3 or 4 points of octane and affect AFR. My guess is that the oil was mixed way to heavy, and perhaps was poured into only partially full tank, and not mixed well causing it to be pulled into the fuel system. Thats the only way I could explain the fuel actually feeling oily downstream.
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 04-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Tom,
    Sorry I should have been more clear. Its not uncommon for 2 cycle oils to have both dispersents and detergents. There are other detergents besides metallic ash, and the EPA does not control any of the metallic ash anyway.
    My reference is my employer, and unfortunately as much as I would love to send you internal reports, I cannot.
    I'll stick with my original opinion that nothing will happen when you add a quart of 2 cycle oil to your aircraft engine oil.

Mind telling us what you do for a living? we won't care who or where you work.
    Me? I'm simply an old A&P-IA that has had a few engines apart and knows what he sees.

Hi Tom,
    Sure I work for Mercury Marine in the engineering department, if you are into boating then you might recognize the name. Im not trying to argue with anyone, I just have the privelage of having access to a pretty nice materials labratory, experts in the field of lubrication, and have been able to do some real testing. Just trying to share what I have learned and know....nothing more.
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 04-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Notice how much was added? Nobody really knows.
    What we know is that an engine failed and the fuel was contaminated with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    What we know is that an engine failed and the fuel was contaminated with Marvel Mystery Oil.
    Ok, so really nothing. From a failure analaysis perspective those 2 facts are pretty worthless. There just isnt any data there to support anything one way or another. Unfortunately half-done failure reports like that do nothing but add confustion.

back in my day of sailing and operating an atomic 4 gas engine, sticking valves were a problem. using mmo in the fuel solved the problem. the stuff worked!

my o-360 lyc went 3,150 hrs on the hobbs using mmo. valves, comps, cylinders, oil consumption, were fine. the cam lifter started making metal.

my new o-360 has 950 trouble free hours using mmo in the fuel and oil. to me it is like vitamins, i take them, i feel good and my vital signs are good. each to his own.

Name:  IMG_0723.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  91.2 KB
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

This is the same hype as power steering fluid which is just hydraulic oil. Type F transmission fluid has been used for years as an upper valve lube when mixed with gas and that's all MMO is.

All anecdotal and hunch. I consider MMO a solvent or sludge fighter - "hot supper" in a bottle. Didn't I read somewhere three other ingredient are pig fat, perfume, and dye? Dad was Army Air Corps WW2 and growing up I saw even he limited use of it to ground-based equipment that was pretty tired or experiencing treatable ailments... never for the life of machine/vehicle. Usually when something was pretty far gone, rough idle, sticking valves, coming out of negligent storage, etc and sometimes it did provide, like an antacid but likely opposite mechanism, some relief of the problem. When poverty forced me to pick up cheap neglected used cars and high time planes, I did the same, with the same occasionally helpful results postponing the "try to fix it or just junk it" decision. But on those occasions (gone forever?) when I could afford pure fun cars/aircraft/inboards I could also usually afford Camwhatsit so that is what I'd add beginning after breakin - just to vehicles getting infrequent use (like boats and classic cars). No substitute for nor supplementation needed to good quality clean oil in everyday use. Even when the usage analysis programs in my newer GM stuff driven exclusively highway in warm climate tell me oil doesn't need to be changed for 40 or fifty thousand miles or more. I change the first load at 500 miles and then wait for the signal or a year, whichever comes first.