Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

The A&P who did the annual on our old club Fly Baby started out as a mechanic on Northwest Airlines Constellations. He told me to use MMO on my Fly Baby's Continental to help forestall valve problems. And I have, for the past 30+ years.

Oh, and it has kept the hangar clear of elephants, too.

I posted a story of my old A&P to the Fly Baby web page:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/legacy.html

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by COMM114 View Post
    This much is true: MMO is not an approved additive for fuel or engine oil in any type of certificated aircraft engine. Period.
    Actually, Kinner service bulletin #130 recommends the application of Marvel-Oil as a valve stem lubricant to extend the life of valves guides.

Best,

HT & V

Attached Images Attached Images   

I added some to the crankcase of an old Dodge pickup in storage at another state. The engine would run, but not pull a load. I suspected lifter problems after troubleshooting the ignition system. After 20 minutes at a high idle, the truck ran like a top. The solvent will eventually burn off leaving only the engine oil. Normally, I don’t use it, but i always have some onhand for those times of need.

I’ve also had a friend use it in an IO-520 with a noisy lifter. Cured the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by high time cub View Post
    Actually, Kinner service bulletin #130 recommends the application of Marvel-Oil as a valve stem lubricant to extend the life of valves guides.

Best,

HT & V

Not only Kinner. Technical bulletins from American Cirrus and Continental ( for the A-40 ) suggest the same thing.