Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

As long as I have been flying, the myths and legends surrounding Mavel Mystery Oil are ever present.

This much is true: MMO is not an approved additive for fuel or engine oil in any type of certificated aircraft engine. Period. For experimental aircraft, you can use it by the gallon but you have entered the realm of the true test pilot. Good luck with that.

As with prescription drugs, their is no such thing as an additive without side effects. Remember Mobil 1 oil for aircraft? It had lots of engineering behind the product but still was causing lots of problems. Do you really know what MMO is doing inside your engine, oil or fuel? If you have some very expensive engineering data for us to review, please share. Otherwise, the wonders of MMO are right up there with Yetti sightings.

As others have suggested, fly your aircraft often and change oil and filter every 25 to 50 hours. Use an approved aircraft engine oil. Many engineers and oil companies have examined and tested these products for their use as specified. Can you say that for MMO?

M. Young
    Last edited by COMM114; 04-06-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Grammar

i know some bonanza owners who swear by the stuff. those engines have terrible valve issues but using mmo they reach tbo. hmmm.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    And why would anyone want to disolve sludge that is sitting happily in the bottom of the crankcase and have it floating around all those moving parts? Not trying to be a wiseguy, really interested in knowing.....
    Hmmm, I guess if one is running some just before the oil change (as some suggested) it would be good to get the gunk out; otherwise I suppose the thought would be to free it up to go through the oil filter.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

M. Young asks if you can say that Marvel has been tested? And of course it has, by over 90 years of widespread use by airlines, military, and other owners, in the field in real use,not just by boffins.
    If it was likely to do any harm that would be apparent by now, and I have never heard of even one engine damaged by Marvel oil.
    Mobil 1 is a different case, it looked good in the lab, but that was over a relatively short time, not decades of actual use. And Mobil 1 was to totally replace normal engine oil, not just be a small volume addative.
    Just curious, does anyone know what was in Mobil 1 that caused the problems? I have never known for sure, but think they rushed it onto the market. It seems to work well in cars, doesn't it? other than some leaks reported.
    Can one be sure that Marvel is doing good,is worth the small amount of money? No, not anymore than taking some extra vitamin B and C when you might be getting a cold is proven.
    As far as claiming that Marvel is not approved for use, I have never heard anyone from the FAA make such a statement or discourage use of Marvel.

I am a Bonanza owner who uses it in the fuel of my Cont TSIO 520-UB, in which I had major exhaust valve trouble in the past. So far no valve trouble yet, did have a cracked cylinder. I try to use it especially in cold weather, it was recommended by my overhauler. And using Marvel does not change or affect oil changes, do them same as before. I can't say that I expect to reach TBO with or without Marvel. The Bonaza is a fine plane, but many Continentals have had more valve problems than Lycomings. I had one cylinder with zero compression, the exhaust valve actually was missiing a piece like a slice being cut out of a pie.

As for Rosie writing, as "gunk sitting in the bottom of your crankcase", I don't think so. Anyone who is using a modern ashless dispersant engine oil is probably going to have a pretty clean engine, without a lot of "gunk" sitting anywhere. And if you have a full flow paper type oil filter, ( you should) that is going to remove impurites pretty well. And some people call A D oil, "detergent" which is wrong, there hasn't been any detergent in airplane engine oil made in years, since the 50s. These people may also call mineral engine oil, "non detergent", which is factual, but silly, they might as well call mineral oil, "non mustard" or "non vodka", since it also doesn't have these, but then neither does A D oil.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    M. Young asks if you can say that Marvel has been tested? And of course it has, by over half a century of widespread use by airlines, military, and other owners, in the field in real use,not just by boffins.
    If it was likely to do any harm that would be apparent by now...
    MMO was developed in the 1920's by a guy who designed and built carburetors, to make Marvel carburetors work better. presumably, without harming the engines those carbs were mounted on. just a wild guess here, but if one is using a Marvel carb then using the additive developed by the guy who designed the carb might make sense.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

who still uses Marvel carbs today?

http://www.msacarbs.com/
    http://www.kellyaerospace.com/carburetors_charts.html
    http://www.airpowerinc.com/productca...t=13&mfgid=AVS
    etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    ...does anyone know what was in Mobil 1 that caused the problems?
    yes. not what was in it, what wasn't:

http://www.avweb.com/news/news/182891-1.html
    Last edited by Mike M; 04-07-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by COMM114 View Post
    As long as I have been flying, the myths and legends surrounding Mavel Mystery Oil are ever present.

This much is true: MMO is not an approved additive for fuel or engine oil in any type of certificated aircraft engine. Period. For experimental aircraft, you can use it by the gallon but you have entered the realm of the true test pilot. Good luck with that.

As with prescription drugs, their is no such thing as an additive without side effects. Remember Mobil 1 oil for aircraft? It had lots of engineering behind the product but still was causing lots of problems. Do you really know what MMO is doing inside your engine, oil or fuel? If you have some very expensive engineering data for us to review, please share. Otherwise, the wonders of MMO are right up there with Yetti sightings.

As others have suggested, fly your aircraft often and change oil and filter every 25 to 50 hours. Use an approved aircraft engine oil. Many engineers and oil companies have examined and tested these products for their use as specified. Can you say that for MMO?

M. Young
    M.Young,
    In fact there are many engineers at engine companies that have tested the materials that are in MMO and their function in an engine. Simple stoddard sovents and mineral oils make up the bulk of chemicals sold to clean varnishes from fuel system components, clean intake valves, etc etc. There really is no mystery in MMO, and thats what I always stress to people. See it for the chemicals it contains, and use sound logic to determine its usefulness. The engineering data you ask for is in the hands of every oil company and engine company out there, however as you know it rarely ever leaves the doors of engineering. There are business legal issues with an engine company saying you can run additive XYZ unless it is either sold uder their own label, or there is some performance specification ( API, SAE, JASO, ASTM etc ) that they can specify.

Holy crap, anyone want to buy a bridge!

A good sales man can sell anything to anyone who does not need what they are selling. Even if it is the best stuff ever made for everything. LOL! Change your oil at the times specified and you won't go wrong.

Question for EAAbip ? You say "change your oil at times specified and you won't go wrong". What does that have to do with Marvel oil? Nothing on the Marvel can or in any literature that I have ever seen or even heard about has anything to do with not changing the oil at specifies times. I have never read or heard of an owner who says he is not changing oil because he is using Marvel. So I think that idea exist only in your head. If you don't like Marvel that is fine ,but don't try to set up a case against them on some bogus boogey man.

And as far as your "won't go wrong" , that is nonsense. While oil changes a normal 25 or 50 hour interval is a good practice, it alone does not make an engine failure proof. I have had exhaust valve failure and turbo failure in my Cont TSIO 520 despite regular oil change, both before I used Marvel and I use it in the fuel, not the oil.

And as for as "a good sales man can sel anything to anyone who does not need what they are selling" , who is the "good sales man" in you tale? I haven't seen Marvel hawking its product at EAA or elsewhere. It is carried by independant dealers ,but it don't see the type of over claims that other products have.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    More snake oil than marvel for me.
    I agree with everyone regarding the efficacy of this product, it is like anything a person is "Sold", a good product if it didn't do any harm to alter one's opinion! On the other hand, one individual mentioned Camguard, and that is indeed a good product with the appropriate testing and results to prove same. It's designed, among other things, to protect parts such as cams from rusting when engines aren't run on a regular basis, which is true for many of us. This is particularly true of Lycoming's where the cams are only lubricated when the engine is running, hence the oil drains off when they sit allowing the potential for rust to develop. My last real job (I volunteer at the Frontiers of Flight Museum, Dallas, TX) was with Superior Air Parts, so understand the problem and how Camguard is a good solution, and yes it's in my Comanche's O-540! Also, never heard one engine shop ever suggest MMO was a product they would recommend anyone use!