Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The best hombuilt ?

Speed is a relative term... compared to all things that fly, all the aircraft that we are discussing here are very slow.
    There's a line at which one crosses between "slow" and "ponderous".
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    There's a line at which one crosses between "slow" and "ponderous".
    Could be, but again, everyone's refernce and purpose is different.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the success of the RV line of airplanes... they obviously make an excellent product, and several of my friends fly them. It is just a difficult question to answer without considering all of the variables. For me, an RV is not practical at the moment, nor will it be in the near future. If I had my choice, would I build an RV? Probably not as there are several other options that I like so much better... i.e. Kitfox 5, Rans S-7, Zenith 701. Then again, if one were to venture away from the snap-together models, there are a lot of options. I personally like the Steve Wittman designs.

Mark, aka Wyatt, I certainly don't know much about building a Pitenbul. I assumed that as an older design that it was meant to be simple and affordable to build. I have only built one airplane, as a minor partner, which was a modern design Starlite, not much in common with the Pit. I'll take your word for it, and if as you say it is difficult to build, then that is another strike against it being very high on the list. To me being easy or relatively quick to build is an asset, if your time is no object there are cool things like a Falco or a Jurca that can result in a beautiful and high performance plane. I think an Rv is around 1000 hours for a first timer and maybe 800 for an experienced guy.

I can hardly wait for the "what's the best headset" thread....

Bill... aka Barney Frank... I'm not saying that they are hard to build... I'm simply pointing out that it is another relative issue. What is at times hard for me, might be easy for another builder. For me personally, I started out my project with two workbenches and an empty hangar, so not only have I had to acquire all the tooling (much of which wasn't absolutely necessary), but I've had to learn the skills necessary to fabricate and assemble my project... something I continue to do. Learning isn't always easy, but it is rewarding. Others have started with better tooling, skills, scrounging experience, etc. Again, all these things have different meaning to differnet people when evaluating the "best" of something. Am I saying that the Piet is overall the best? No, but as an individual asnswering a completly open ended question, this project obviously makes sense to me and based on longevity, basic dimensions, fun factor, etc... it has to be mentioned whe speaking of homebuilts.

Scratch builds are not for the instant gratification types. So if your attention span is somewhere around the tip if your nose, yeah, probably not for you.

As for the best headsets... no contest... Zulu.

How about an oil thread?

Marty, a topic of "Best Headset" might be interesting, but then Steve would come along and tell us that whatever brand I selected, no matter whether it was Bose or David Clark, was not for everyone and would not be best for Vincent van Gogh,and therefore there was no such thing as best. And Mark would tell us that only a headset that he builds from plans is good,and most of all he wants a "delay" circuit in it, so that incoming signals are held up for a few moments, unlike all those simpletons that want "instant gratification".

Bill & Mark,
    This is a highly entertaining conversation - please keep it up. How about a thread for "Best Phrase on a thread"?

Your Pal,

BG

And... this one has run it's course...

I fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never try to reason with a psychopath as it just makes you look like a fool."

Hey Bill... medication time!

Sorry to disappoint BG... I have come to realize (again) that Bill's primary purpose is to disagree with everyone.... boring. His wife probably never lets him talk.

Feel free to pick up where I'm leaving off!

Could be, but again, everyone's refernce and purpose is different.
    Right and I accidentally submitted that previous comment from my phone without finishing the thought which was to say more or less what you did.

I personally like the Steve Wittman designs.
    I like most airplanes as long as they are not just aesthetically offensive. However, liking an airplane and wanting to own and/or fly it are two separate things in my book. I love the WWII L-birds but I don't have much use for one.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.