Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Aviation Films of All Time (?)

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    "Fighter Squadron" - 8th AF - filmed with Hiawian ANG P-47s - Featured Robert Stack, call sign
    "Haystack". I regret that I cannot find a vid anywhere.

Bob
    Hi Bob - I got my copy from the Warner Archive collection, but they don't seem to be listing it right now. However, it is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Squadron-Edmond-OBrien/dp/B0038FPDSS

Cheers -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Air & Space Smithsonian published a more extensive list (starting here) as part of a feature about Flyboys.

I added a few suggestions, including some series, here.

Although it was a made for TV movie, I have always like the flying sequences in Birds of Prey with David Janssen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    Although it was a made for TV movie, I have always like the flying sequences in Birds of Prey with David Janssen.
    This? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069787/

Yes, Zack I should have included the link! I saw it when I was a little bit younger. Thanks

Rick

Another great documentary is "Barnstorming"; Just a group of pilots having a great time together.
    http://www.barnstormingmovie.com/

That "Bombing Hitler's Dams" documentary was great. I highly, highly recommend it.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

David Lean - The Sound Barrier

1950s UK aviation at its best....the birth of the jet engine , test beds, de haviland factory scenes, filmed in B/W infra Red to highten the contrast of the clouds against blue sky...great acting and wonderful script....not to be missed.

"Skyward" with Bette Davis and Suzie Gilstrap (directed by Ron Howard). It was a TV movie by GE Aviation Theater. They need to bring it back. Suzie is a handicapped, young lady and learns to fly from a crotchety, old, flight instructor, Bette Davis. Great movie ... but I was young and impressionable when it aired (1980).

"Barnstorming" is good, too. Real people, real airplanes, real world and real interesting.

Dark Blue World

An excellent little known aviation film that deserves far more attention is "Dark Blue World."

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Blue-Worl...cm_cr-mr-title

This film not only showcases the legendary British Spitfire but serves as a helpful primer to historical fact as to Czech involvement in the allied war effort during WWII. And that effort was heroic indeed. The production values and especially the cinematography of this Czech produced film are every bit as good as anything American audiences are accustomed to. But it was the humanity of the characters that made this particular story so compelling. For instance, the Czech wing commander, upon returning from a training mission with his young pilot officers did not display the slightest hesitation in eagerly seeking out his dog for a gentle and playful romp in full view of his young subordinates. You would never see John Wayne or Gregory Peck display such affection for a dog in similiar circumstances. Another altered perspective unfamiliar to most American viewers had to do with aerial tactics...allowing the engineer and fireman of a rolling supply train to evacuate before aerial straffing began. As a long time aviation buff, I purchased this movie because of the promise of airplanes. The movie does not disappoint. Some technical details were noted by this viewer for the very first time, such as the distinctive thud of landing gear doors slamming shut on departing Spitfires, even a tailwheel casually rotating about its axis during a bouncy, grassy landing. From an action point of view, the flying sequences were excellent and Spitfires were plentiful. But to me, the real draw came to be the bonding of men in perilous times, and for the Czech pilots who fought with the RAF in WW11, because of this movie I learned the process did not realize full closure until the early 1990's. Highly recommended.