Thread: The "real" EAA

The "real" EAA

For all the moaning about the direction of the EAA at the national level I figure I'd throw in my experience with what I consider the EAA - the guys and gals of my local chapter.

I suppose they were desperate for a topic, so the last meeting I was asked to give a presentation on my Nieuport 11 build. I brought along the two rudders I built - my first effort (marginal quality) and the second (suitable) for comparison of skills gained and to show tangible proof that I'm not building a deathtrap.

Naturally everyone was courteous and let me talk until it was question time - and then the advice, queries, and critiques came flowing out of the assembly. Lots of lightbulbs and "aha" moments going off in my head - including problems and solutions I hadn't even considered yet.

Lots of my build process is To Be Determined (TBD), as I have studiously avoided worrying about step 985 when I'm still back at 342 and they graciously let me slide on areas that I had no answer to (like mounting the gas tank) with a rain check on help and advice when they came up.

I also got plenty of offers of help when I get lost or just need help.

One of the cool things is that somebody gave a heads up to our DAR what was going on and he had snuck into the back to hear what I've done so far and how I did it. He gave me some great pointers on quality assurance and the things he looks for at inspection time afterwards.

So what's the direction of the EAA? It's towards completion of my very own airplane as well as those being built and maintained by my fellow members.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

So what's the direction of the EAA? It's towards completion of my very own airplane as well as those being built and maintained by my fellow members.
    Amen to that Frank. You know if you need any help (especially as far as the safety side of stuff goes), all you have to do is ask.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Naturally everyone was courteous and let me talk until it was question time - and then the advice, queries, and critiques came flowing out of the assembly.
    Sounds just like an internet chat room!

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Sounds just like an internet chat room!
    I assume that was a 'tongue in cheek' comment....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

You mean people actually read these posts?????

Someday I'll be building if I live long erough!

Mike
    C 172 Pilot
    Mike Sundstrom
    EAA 1019808

I agree with you Frank, the local chapter and people I meet from other chapters are EAA to me as well, but unfortunately the national organization represents us and visa-versa.

@Mike... Build now! I started at 36... now 39 I've got something that is starting to look like an airplane. Don't wait... pick a design and get busy on it. Of course I am saying this from the point of view of a scratch builder. I suppose if I had to consider spending thousands of dollars to get started on a tail kit, I too might be on the sidelines. For me, the material needed for wing ribs was around $200, so I was able to get busy right away and stay busy. A scratch build allows you to work at your own pace when you can afford it, both in time and finances.