Thread: Should Rod End Bearings for Ailerons use Zerk Fittings

Should Rod End Bearings for Ailerons use Zerk Fittings

For my project airplane, the Acey Deucy, the ailerons are mounted on rod end bearings. In shopping for these bearings, I see that Zerk grease fittings are an option.
    I would appreciate learning from experienced builders whether these are useful.

Thank you.

Ref: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...mmbearings.php

RVs use a lot of rod end bearings and none of them have zerks. Greasing these bearings is a great way to trap dirt and cause premature wear and rough operation. Best to use a non-stick lube such as one of the LPS products.

By the way, the much less expensive Aurora bearings will work fine on your project.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 05-30-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    RVs use a lot of rod end bearings and none of them have zerks. Greasing these bearings is a great way to trap dirt and cause premature wear and rough operation. Best to use a non-stick lube such as one of the LPS products.

By the way, the much less expensive Aurora bearings will work fine on your project.
    Thank you for the reply, Sam. Very helpful.

Sam is exactly right. My KR has numerous rod end bearings as well, including the aileron push rods. At 22 years (aurora bearings) and 1200 hours, they are still nice and snug. I use Triflow to lubricate annually, but it's a very similar product to Sam's recommendation.

There's an EAA Homebuilder Hint video that explains the greasing procedure: http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video...e&q=rod%20ends
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!