Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OSH arrivals

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    But hey, I can't fly the FISK arrival as stated. 90 Knots is 3 knots above my gear speed. So I can either fly it at 87 with the gear down, or 90 with the gear up. (of course I can just keep the gear up and blast in on the Warbird arrival
    that's not the first time you've mentioned the gear speed, Ron. are you bragging or complaining? either way, yes, you can fly the FISK arrival as stated. the NOTAM doesn't require gear down. page 4 says "If possible, lower your landing gear prior to reaching Fisk." you write your aircraft limitations make that not possible. so don't. leave it up, the optional part, and fly 90 kts, the required part. big deal. they'll get over it. just remember, for noise abatement, put it down before landing.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I always fly with a second pilot. I've never understood a desire to fly alone. It gets boring that way.
    I find that the lack of horrified screams makes the flight more enjoyable.

I might just fly to OSH in 2013 or 2014, but the fact that my poor little Nieuport makes a Cub look zippy (my cruise will be 55 MPH) may make it far more interesting than I desire. Maybe I can fudge a bit and lie my way onto the UL strip (my plane is just over the ultralight limits).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    as for as antiques, I don't think there is anything against them in the notam, I'd bet on it.
    I don't think it is a coincidence that the Old Rhinebeck, Pioneer airport, Antique Aircraft Assoc, and even evens like the National Biplane Fly-in have grass runways. I'm sure there are some really neat old tail-skid, no-brake, WWI style aircraft that would make an appearance if there was a grass runway option. As I mentioned, it probably isn't practical since the sod would get pretty beat-up (especially when a majority of taildragger pilots learn there is a grass option), but it would be neat to see some of those old planes and provide another approach route for slower planes.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    I would hope not. The ultralight runway is for ultralights. They have their problems too.
    Yeah, they are slow, handhelds or no radios, generally like grass runways, some without brakes...but despite that maybe the ultralights would allow the Aeroncas & Cubs in anyway!

Hi all,

I am flying over from New Zealand, and then flying a Tiger Moth in from Cedar Rapids. Never been to the US before, so I think this will be an experience and a half. Luckily the owner will be with me who has been in a tonne of times. Our biggest International Airshow attracts a dozen warbirds and around 100 aircraft in total so this outta blow me away!

Looking forward to it.

PS If anyone is interested, have a look at the Vintage Aviator Website. One of the largest collections of ww1 aircraft anywhere, and they all fly regularly.
    Last edited by AndyNZ; 05-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    that's not the first time you've mentioned the gear speed, Ron. are you bragging or complaining? either way, yes, you can fly the FISK arrival as stated. the NOTAM doesn't require gear down. page 4 says "If possible, lower your landing gear prior to reaching Fisk."
    Yeah, but the Fisk controllers go bonkers if you don't put your gear down...been there, done that. I usually drop them after I make a fuss, from there to 36 isn't that far and usually the guy ahead of me is slowing down by then anyhow.

Last year I saw a guy or 2 cutting the corner inside of Ripon. Yes I can handle it, but it's nice to be lined up on the inbound course over Ripon, not cutting in from the East 1 mile inside. Maybe I'm asking for to much.

Last year I caught a guy high and not over the tracks came merging in at me and had the nerve to tell me I flew under him. It's best when you've got an idiot, to keep him in sight ahead of you.

If you ever want to have fun and you have a car (or are willing to hike the couple of miles), go down to Fisk and sit with the controllers. The first year I visited Oshkosh (and we flew into Fond du Lac, I wasn't the pilot), I got to go both out to Fisk and up in the control tower, to see how things looked from the controller's side before I had to fly it for real.

Just a reminder->

I have been told that a slow plane approach has been discussed for years at Oshkosh. I had hoped that the 75th anniversary of the J-3 Piper Cub would spur the EAA/FAA into making it a reality.

As that didn't happen, I can only caution pilots as to the larger numbers of very slow planes, J-3 Cubs that will be using the Fisk approach flying at 70 M.P.H.

Please be extra careful out there this year for many slow movers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    Just a reminder->

I have been told that a slow plane approach has been discussed for years at Oshkosh. I had hoped that the 75th anniversary of the J-3 Piper Cub would spur the EAA/FAA into making it a reality.

As that didn't happen, I can only caution pilots as to the larger numbers of very slow planes, J-3 Cubs that will be using the Fisk approach flying at 70 M.P.H.

Please be extra careful out there this year for many slow movers!
    Avoiding the times of the mass arrivals, whether they be Cubs or RV's is a good plan. Those times are published.

As for the Fisk, what is it with the guys or gals that can't seem to fly in trail over the railroad tracks? I suggest some practice in that very basic skill, you know, like your second or third flying lesson when your instructor had you do that? Nothing frosts my gizzard more than seeing, out of the blue, a plane 200 yards off of either wingtip when I am centered on the tracks. Things fall apart pretty fast after that discovery.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

I've flown in several times either by myself or with one other person. Weather permitting I intend to fly my 'new' 1947 L16 in this year. It's only about a 150 mile flight for me as I live on the other side of the state but flying an old tail dragger you need to be respectful of the cross winds on a hard surface runway. I'd really wish for a nice turf runway about 2500' long but I suppose that would take all the fun out of it.

Trafficwise, I've never had a problem as long as you follow the 'rules' which I understand some don't I've never arrived after the airshow but think I'd avoid that time if possible as there is a lot of departing traffic and once you're out of the 'control area' it seems like everyone for themselves as they turn on heading.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Berg; 07-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!