I had promised myself that I would not write this post - but I break promises to me all the time. I have been to OSH many times over the past 30 years of flying. Last year was the first time I made the decision to fly my plane instead of driving or going commercial. I had always been some what nervous of all the air activity that occurs during OSH (arrival and departure). Before the flight, I downloaded the NOTAM and studied it in detail. I made flight notes and checklist of the important items. I arrived on a clear afternoon, flew over Rippon and turned toward Fisk along the rail road tracks. A few miles up the tracks my apprehension hit me full face. Planes appeared off of my left wing, my right wing, on my nose (towards me). under me and over me. The controllers were going wild trying to sort things out. When I received my clearance (acknowledged with a wing rock) another plane cut in and took my landing slot. Shot past Fisk and went for the hold. While in the hold, I waited my turn only to see numerous inbound planes take the lead and make their approach in front of me. I had made up my mind to leave the area and land at one of the alternates but I received clearance for 36L, shot out of the hold, did a left base along the lake and put it on the dot. On the ground I sat in the plane refelected on the past 45 minutes. What should have been a simple procedure (I am Inst. rated) turned into a nightmare for ONE very simple reason. MORON pilots that think the rules and procedures are meant for others. I know other pilots have experienced this same thing and some of you will no doubt post your hair raising experience. But it would be educational to hear from one of the MORONS as to why they chose to disregard procedures, put themself at risk and put others in the air at risk. I would also like to have some input (from the good guys) as to how we can stop this dangerous activity.
Thanks
Michael