Thread: online airshows

online airshows

are the airshows going to be shown online again this year

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    We'll have basically the same webcam coverage we had last year, so that will include some video from the tower during the airshow each day, yes. My volunteer experts may chime in and clarify, but basically we'll be taking a feed directly from the videographer that will be shooting footage of the shows for compilation, etc.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

As Hal stated in his reply, there will be a feed of the airshow like last year.

Just as last year, the video feed we get for the airshow is a shared resource. The main purpose of the camera that is on the control tower is to record interesting events going on around AirVenture for future EAA publications. Last year we were fortunute to be able to take a feed off this camera to stream across the internet to EAA members that can not attend the show.

Since we are taking a feed off a camera that is there to record more that just the airshow, you may see the other views than just the aircraft in the show.

Also, we are changing the method of distributing and encoding all the camera feeds this year to allow greater compatability with different operating systems and types of browsers. The three cameras that run on preprogramed tours will be using new hardware encoders due to the logistic of where the equipment is mounted and the Airshow Camera and Theater in the Woods will be encoded using software in hopes of maintaining a higher image quality on those two cameras. A couple months ago we had a sample feed up using the new distribution method and had excellent results and response from the people that tested it.

The three cameras that run on a tour were mounted this last Monday, short of one minor issue of a blown power supply on one camera, everything tested out, the replacement power supply has been ordered. If all goes as planned, at least two of those cameras should go online fairly soon with the third after the replacement parts arrive.

We will be creating one official forum thread for this years webcam feeds and will try to post on there when we know of difficulties or weather related issues that may affect the feeds.

Todd Ritzman
    Co-Chairman Streaming Media

I will take what i can get i am in afghanistan this year so i will need to enjoy it through the internet i believe the speed should be fine at 200 am here