View Poll Results: Do Warbird pilots wear Nomex flight suits for safety or to look cool?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safety

13 56.52%
  • To look cool

10 43.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Warbird pilots wear Nomex flight suits for safety or to look cool?

Here it is--page 3 of the current (August) Sport Aviation:

http://www.sportaviationonline.org/s...ion/201108#pg3

Joe is right. Nomex is nasty on a hot day if worn right. All zipped up and collar buttoned up tight. I saw the late Merle Gustofson fly his F4U Angel of Okinawa wearing bib overalls. He was cool.

Should all pilots wear them (Cessna, Piper, etc)?
    I see no reason not to do so other than peer pressure from the ignorant amongst our ranks. The general aviation set is at a greater risk of post crash fire when all other factors are equal due to the higher flammability of aviation and automobile gas compared to Jet-A and similar fuels.

Are warbirds more apt to go up in flames?
    It would depend on the particular design so there is no good way to make a generalization because some have much higher crash tolerances with regards to their fuel tank designs than others.

What about "O" and "L" type warbirds?
    Since they are nothing more than modified GA aircraft, the prior comments about the risks associated with AVGas stand.

That said, if you are going to wear nomex for fire protection, be sure not to wear anything synthetic underneath. Even with an intervening layer of Nomex, nylon, polyester, etc will melt and cause severe burns. I fly on an air ambulance and I wear a layer of cotton socks under wool socks inside my leather boots, and a cotton t-shirt and boxer shorts. In cold weather, I will put a wool sweater on underneath my flight suit. Not exactly a fashion statement but then again I don't wear it when not flying.

Speaking as someone who used to work in the burn unit of a major trauma center, pretty much my definition of hell would be living through a burn and then having to endure having melted synthetic fabric debrided off of my skin.

"It is the wearing of olive drab Nomex with epaulettes, patches, and other psuedo-military accouterments that grates."

OD is normally the cheapest and most readily-available Nomex flying coveralls color. As low as $55 new. Other colors start over $150 and go up from there - fast. http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=45032 andhttp://www.google.com/search?q=nomex+"flight+suit"&hl=en&lr=&prmd=ivns&s ource=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=NC85TsXRLoihtwfd l6XeCQ&ved=0CHIQrQQ

Might there be something else here "that grates" ? Might you be annoyed that Nomex-wearers are trying to make others feel inferior? Nobody can do that, people make themselves feel inferior. If it really bothers you, just point and laugh and let THEM feel inferior instead.

I've been wearing Nomex to work for over forty years. It may be non-breathable, non-absorbent, non- non- non-, but at least it doesn't wrinkle as badly as most other fabrics when slept in. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Mike M; 09-08-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added info