Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Class Medical Exemption Request - Joint filing by EAA and AOPA

Can someone give me an email address in simple terms as to where comments can be sent for this proposal. I have several non-flying friends that would love to get into flying but feel hampered by the invasive medical requirements. They have expressed an interest in commenting positively for this proposal. Is there also a basic form that can be used for the format and wording that would be acceptable. Most of these friends are 'older' and not the most computer savvy so any help would be appreciated.

Here's the info on how to comment, including where to go and suggested points to make. Unfortunately, it's not "an email address in simple terms." It's a government website. But there's also a mailing address if you or your friends would rather send your comments that way.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-03-29_exemption.pdf

ME
    You seem to know a bit in this area and thanks for bring this forward. My question " Is there a list of what can be expected from an AME when you walk in the door for a flight phsycal? ie what the minimum required test are?

There is a "PTS" of sorts for the AMD to use. However, it's been my experience that the doc will focus on his regular specialty. I used to go to an eye, ear, nose & throat doctor for my Class III. I never unbuttoned my shirt during the visit and he would kinda nod toward "down there" while asking if all was well. I got the wax removed from ears - no charge.
    On the other hand, I once visited doctor of internal medicine - a surgeon. I felt like Mel Gibson getting eviscerated during the final scene in Braveheart. Last time around I saw a GP who was an ex-Marine. Big guy. He had me doing calesthetics in examining room. Then he grabbed my head with both hands like he was inbounding a basketball to check operation of the swivel, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    There is a "PTS" of sorts for the AMD to use. However, it's been my experience that the doc will focus on his regular specialty. I used to go to an eye, ear, nose & throat doctor for my Class III. I never unbuttoned my shirt during the visit and he would kinda nod toward "down there" while asking if all was well. I got the wax removed from ears - no charge.
    On the other hand, I once visited doctor of internal medicine - a surgeon. I felt like Mel Gibson getting eviscerated during the final scene in Braveheart. Last time around I saw a GP who was an ex-Marine. Big guy. He had me doing calesthetics in examining room. Then he grabbed my head with both hands like he was inbounding a basketball to check operation of the swivel, I guess.
    LOL You should try going to an OB/GYN for your medical. It's always fun being the only guy sitting alone in there in a room full of pregnant women.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorn View Post
    My question " Is there a list of what can be expected from an AME when you walk in the door for a flight phsycal? ie what the minimum required test are?
    Steve's comment is accurate. The exam often seems pretty cursory, but I suspect the examiner knows what he is looking for. I found this:

http://flightphysical.com/part67/Cla...subd_67301.htm

which is pretty detailed, and I can't even pronounce some of the subjects. But it might help. Don't let it discourage you, however. If you are basically healthy, it shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, if you have any doubts whatsoever, get some info before taking the exam. A "fail" will keep you from pursuing the Sport Pilot option. If you have suspicions or specific questions about conditions, a good online source is Dr. Bruce Chien on the AOPA forum. Or call EAA and ask for medical certification assistance.

If you have suspicions or specific questions about conditions, a good online source is Dr. Bruce Chien on the AOPA forum.
    I was about to suggest Bruce but couldn't remember his last name. I know him through the Pilots of America forums.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

That's good if Dr. Chien is on that forum too. You can get to him there without being a member of AOPA.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    That's good if Dr. Chien is on that forum too. You can get to him there without being a member of AOPA.
    Here's the address and office phone number I have for him if that would be of any help as well:
    1320 Bird Boulevard
    Peoria, IL 61615-0000
    (309) 689-5242

His website: http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/site/

Bruce is a good guy and probably one of the smartest aviation medical guys out there. You know you're one of the best when even the guys at CAMI talk about you like you're at the top of your game.

I know this probably early yet, but. Anyone have any updates of the progress of the EAA/AOPA 3rd class medical exemption proposal yet? I was looking at the comments a little while ago and saw that there were only about 1700 comments made. Seems like a pretty poor showing to me given how many pilots are likely to be affected by this proposal.