Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: The Construction of a Light Aircraft (Piper factory film, 1943)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Video: The Construction of a Light Aircraft (Piper factory film, 1943)

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Interesting,
    Too bad its Piper.......

Aron, REALLY !

Thanks for posting the link. It was interesting.

I found that video last week while researching J3's. I really enjoyed this video. It is amazing the rate at which J3's were turned out prior to WWII. You really get a feel for the American manufacturing ethic and it was factories like Bill Piper's that prepared us for turning out the amazing planes needed for the war effort.

That was really fun and interesting to watch. As a builder, its disheartening in a way to see how quickly these planes go together. On the other hand, most of the folks in the film were "just working" and probably didn't get the same sense of satisfaction we achieve during our years of loving labor. It's interesting when you see some of the clever, "quick" clamps and tools they use, but seeing each structure being born is still a moving experience.
    Thanks. Hal, for the show, and hope you find more of these to share.
    Best,
    Joe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose195 View Post
    I found that video last week while researching J3's. I really enjoyed this video. It is amazing the rate at which J3's were turned out prior to WWII. You really get a feel for the American manufacturing ethic and it was factories like Bill Piper's that prepared us for turning out the amazing planes needed for the war effort.

That was fun and fascinating to watch especially seeing that the planes were almost totally hand built and with very few power tools or automation used. The documentary was shot in 1943 so that was 4 years after the start of WW2. The plane being test flown was a J-4 or J-5 I believe, not a J-3. It clearly has a different profile and a full standard door(not a clam shell). I felt sorry for those poor ladies doing the rib stitching...so laborious and physically demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstate View Post
    Aron, REALLY !
    Hey what can I say? I work in engineering, not accounting, so Bill Piper is not exactly at the top of my aviation heros list

(If you know the stories between Piper, Taylor and Stinson you know what I am talking about)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Hey what can I say? I work in engineering, not accounting, so Bill Piper is not exactly at the top of my aviation heros list

(If you know the stories between Piper, Taylor and Stinson you know what I am talking about)

Most of us I'm sure do not know these stories you speak of so please tell us, I for one am very curious to hear, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Most of us I'm sure do not know these stories you speak of so please tell us, I for one am very curious to hear, thanks.
    Maybe in a seperate post, kind of OT here , Or just read up on the history of Taylorcraft and Stinson.......but to make a long story short Piper was always out for money, and many times doing some very not-so-nice things to reach that goal.