Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I was suggesting a completed, airworthy experimental, .
    According to some "drama queens" there is no such thing, (technically they are correct??)

My suggestion was for a completed, ready to fly Sportsman.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

My first question would be what kind of budget do we have to work with here? From the "certified" world, I'd love to see a Super SeaBee, Stinson 108-3, Cessna 195, or Fairchild F-24 (with a radial of course). If we were allowed to go experimental, a Carbon Cub EX, Sportsman, or Bearhawk would be fantastic.

All of these are just my personal preferences.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Like one of my friends says you don't see it from the inside when you're flying it
    Something similar can be said for fat chicks in dark rooms but then again, you know the social implications of that.

Although I don't consider the Icon ugly....now the Sonex hmmmm.
    Yeah, the Sonex is pretty high on the list of my "ugliest airplanes" list too.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I was suggesting a completed, airworthy experimental, not a kit awaiting construction, as that has the same financial implications of a "free" dog.

Sorry to offend at the notion of someone winning an Experimental Aircraft; I didn't realize they changed the name of the organization to the Everything Aviation Association (except for us minority homebuilders who should be only occasionally seen and never heard).

This year they're giving away a Cub, which is unsuitable for the majority of members, who apparently are all Twin Turbine IFR only types who wouldn't waste their time on a two seat LSA compliant tail dragger (oh the horrors! No GPS, autopilot, transponder, cup holders, radio, or starter - is it even legal?). Clearly the EAA leadership needs to wake up and embrace the new realities.

Sheesh.
    Your sarcasm and self-righteous indignation was so powerfully dripping off the page, I had to take a shower. Let's put an end to the inferiority complex and hostility you exhibit. No one on this thread to date has said one single negative or disrespectful comment, not literal or metaphorical, about "experimentals" and "homebuilding."

In fact, the exact opposite has been expressed and you take exception to people who have posted cogent arguments regarding why experimentals(built or otherwise)are not a good prize giveaway. You have zero reason to be or feel offended or to offer the childish sarcasm of "sorry to offend at the notion of winning an experimental..." and, "Twin, turbine IFR only types..."

Frankly Frank, your comments are offensive to me because you disrespect everyone in this organization who has a different aviation interest than you. You sir are an intolerant individual who only wants to exclude rather than embrace a notion of inclusiveness to make EAA stronger and representative to all who just have a passion for all things aviation. That makes you a part of the problem and not of the solution.

"Sheesh" is right. Clearly you need to wake up and embrace the reality of your anger and behaviour and find a way to seek out some good things about us "cup holders."

Hey Floats....I may not see eye to eye with Frank (since I'm part of the IFR club to which he referred) but I've always taken his comments to be more or less tongue in cheek at how offended others have gotten on other threads. Granted, I would like to see the EAA be more inclusive (especially among the older members) but at the same time, I don't believe we need to march in lock step to make that happen. I learn more from those who think my approach is a load of crap than the people who agree with me 100%. Maybe I am not picking up on something here but I don't think Frank was trying to be intentionally rude but rather simply sardonic.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Hey Floats....I may not see eye to eye with Frank (since I'm part of the IFR club to which he referred) but I've always taken his comments to be more or less tongue in cheek at how offended others have gotten on other threads. Granted, I would like to see the EAA be more inclusive (especially among the older members) but at the same time, I don't believe we need to march in lock step to make that happen. I learn more from those who think my approach is a load of crap than the people who agree with me 100%. Maybe I am not picking up on something here but I don't think Frank was trying to be intentionally rude but rather simply sardonic.

Sorry Steve, not gonna fly! Without actual speech inflection, I'm taking his written comments at face value-- comments that are far too cutting and abrasive to be sardonic. He wasn't rude, just over-the-top intolerant which in my books is a more heinous offense.

To each and to their own but I have talked to Frank and he seems to be one of the more reasonable folks on here even if it does usually involve a healthy dose of sarcasm.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    If there was one thread that I thought might just be free from controversy, it was this one...

When you participate in a thread like this, remember that it's part of my job to present it to the "powers that be" who are genuinely looking for feedback and suggestions on the topic at hand. That doesn't mean that I just want a rosey, all-smiles list of dream airplanes from people - frankly, I've found the debate on the pros and cons of giving away a kit vs. a completed aircraft (the "free dog" analogy) to be fascinating.

But it doesn't do anyone any good when I have to go to, say, our VP of Donor Relations and say "have a look at some of the interesting ideas on sweepstakes aircraft, and, by the way, please ignore the parts where everyone gets ****ed off and starts insulting each other."

I think these forums, and 99ish% of the discussions that are had on them are important and that providing a platform for all of us to discuss and debate topics of interest and the issues that shape the direction of our organization is absolutely vital. It is one of my key responsibilities, and one of the biggest reasons I come to work every morning. (And stare at my phone every few minutes on nights and weekends to see what's up...) Sometimes, though, I need remind my colleagues just how crucial it is that we keep channels like this open and growing; that's usually easy to do, but not with a thread like this.

Everybody, please, just take a deep breath and count to ten or whatever works, be civil and let's move on.

Thank you all -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop_Flyer View Post
    My first question would be what kind of budget do we have to work with here? From the "certified" world, I'd love to see a Super SeaBee, Stinson 108-3, Cessna 195, or Fairchild F-24 (with a radial of course). If we were allowed to go experimental, a Carbon Cub EX, Sportsman, or Bearhawk would be fantastic.

All of these are just my personal preferences.
    Sounds good to me, too...