Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

I don't buy your argument. All homebuilders were at one time non-hombuilders. Winning a RV-12 kit might provide the motivation to convert one more non-builder to builder. I don't see a kit discouraging anyone from entering - you do realize the win a plane sweepstakes is a no obligation contest? No purchase or donatation is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I am part of the two-thirds and I would not want to pay the required mandatory taxes on a prize I would not use or have any use for.
    I agree, which is why I would sell an ICON A5 ASAP or trade it for something I CAN use. Tax liability certainly won't stop me from entering.

A shiney new Luscombe 8A with the radial will do fine thanks. http://www.luscombe-silvaire.com/

Banned
    Marty, I never expected you to buy my argument so let's just agree to disagree. You're a builder, I'm not. East is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet! Winning a kitplane would not convert me or many,many others. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I have the greatest respect and admiration for those that have the formidable talents and skills and perseverance to build their own airplane. I neither have the time, interest and especially the skills to do it so 3 strikes I'm out.

"All homebuilders were at one time non-homebuilders." Ya....and all murderers were at one time non-murderers. Might be true but what does it signify?

And yes I know that no purchase is required but I observe that many give a donation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    A shiney new Luscombe 8A with the radial will do fine thanks. http://www.luscombe-silvaire.com/

Thanks for posting. I think that the Luscombe is the most esthetically designed non-radial taildragger ever produced. I didn't know they were being manufactured again. Good for them, hope they have great success.

How about just the cost of one of the small planes that have been given away as a prize towards building something?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Well, I have no desire or inclination to own or fly one but I'd sure send in my tickets.
    Yeah, if I won something I didn't want or had no use for (like a Cirrus, Yak-52, Sportsman, one of the RVs or the "leading edge Icon A5"), I'd simply sell it and use the money to build something that would be useful.

I agree, which is why I would sell an ICON A5 ASAP or trade it for something I CAN use. Tax liability certainly won't stop me from entering.
    Actually, I'd more than likely "donate" the aircraft to the non-profit we're establishing for research purposes (tax writeoff) then let the NPO turn around and "re-raffle" it off as a fundraiser towards the construction of something better.

"All homebuilders were at one time non-homebuilders." Ya....and all murderers were at one time non-murderers. Might be true but what does it signify?
    A strawman argument?

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I was suggesting a completed, airworthy experimental, not a kit awaiting construction, as that has the same financial implications of a "free" dog.

Sorry to offend at the notion of someone winning an Experimental Aircraft; I didn't realize they changed the name of the organization to the Everything Aviation Association (except for us minority homebuilders who should be only occasionally seen and never heard).

This year they're giving away a Cub, which is unsuitable for the majority of members, who apparently are all Twin Turbine IFR only types who wouldn't waste their time on a two seat LSA compliant tail dragger (oh the horrors! No GPS, autopilot, transponder, cup holders, radio, or starter - is it even legal?). Clearly the EAA leadership needs to wake up and embrace the new realities.

Sheesh.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Clearly the EAA leadership needs to wake up and embrace the new realities.
    Well played Frank, as always.

This year they're giving away a Cub, which is unsuitable for the majority of members, who apparently are all Twin Turbine IFR only types who wouldn't waste their time on a two seat LSA compliant tail dragger
    Actually the Cub is one of the few planes I wouldn't sell (although it would be getting a transponder and radio installed before I'd fly it) that I have seen in the sweepstakes over the years. Then again, I don't look at a Cub (which is a commercially built aircraft even if people do "clone" them) as any more of an "EAA appropriate aircraft" than any of the "high performance spam cans" some people look down their nose at. To me a "Cub clone" is less of an "spirit of EAA" aircraft than something that is designed to be similar in appearance and performance to for example a Mooney but was designed from scratch to emulate a similar goal and aesthetic. I feel the same way about warbirds and the other "classics" we seem to tolerate or welcome with open arms despite them not being homebuilts. It's kind of an odd double standard.

My only gripe about the Icon A5 is that it's so bloody ugly. I don't care if it can reach warp speed. There is something to be said for aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    My only gripe about the Icon A5 is that it's so bloody ugly. I don't care if it can reach warp speed. There is something to be said for aesthetics.
    Like one of my friends says you don't see it from the inside when you're flying it! Although I don't consider the Icon ugly....now the Sonex hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Thanks for posting. I think that the Luscombe is the most esthetically designed non-radial taildragger ever produced. I didn't know they were being manufactured again. Good for them, hope they have great success.
    I think they are sub 100k too, (wow! like that's cheap or something) better than a China made Skycatcher, in my opinion that is, obviously not for some.