Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

Just don't go overboard with gee whiz stuff and lose the useful load.
    Even if you plug in two full PFD/MFDs from Aspen, a three-axis autopilot, radios two full sets of back-up "steam" instruments, an EFIS, and all the other "gee whiz" stuff that would make any airline pilot jealous is under 90 lbs. Then again to me 90lbs isn't that much but for the really light stuff (RVs and below) it would be.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

[QUOTE=steveinindy;13677]Even if you plug in two full PFD/MFDs from Aspen, a three-axis autopilot, radios two full sets of back-up "steam" instruments, an EFIS, and all the other "gee whiz" stuff that would make any airline pilot jealous is under 90 lbs. QUOTE]

All the "gee whiz stuff" includes ?? lbs worth of exotic paint plus leather interior, excess sound proofing, constant speed prop etc. I've seen at least one RV-10 made into a 2 place by the weight of all the showy stuff.

[QUOTE=Bill Barker;13711]
    Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Even if you plug in two full PFD/MFDs from Aspen, a three-axis autopilot, radios two full sets of back-up "steam" instruments, an EFIS, and all the other "gee whiz" stuff that would make any airline pilot jealous is under 90 lbs. QUOTE]

All the "gee whiz stuff" includes ?? lbs worth of exotic paint plus leather interior, excess sound proofing, constant speed prop etc. I've seen at least one RV-10 made into a 2 place by the weight of all the showy stuff.
    And that's a problem how precisely? If that's what the pilot/builder wants, then it's just fine. As for "excessive" soundproofing, personally, I don't need (or want) to hear the drone of a 350 hp engine and I'd like to be able to avoid needing a hearing aid by the time I'm 50. That's why my design probably would have "excess" soundproofing by your margin. Then again, it's also designed to pack around 300 lbs of baggage in addition to the pilots and passengers (it can be configured as either a two or four seat aircraft depending upon the needs of the particular builder or flight).

I just think it's funny how some people think it makes you less of a builder or pilot or whatever to want to be comfortable or don't want to have 90 decibels of cabin noise at cruise. To each and to their own...
    Last edited by steveinindy; 04-02-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I just think it's funny how some people think it makes you less of a builder or pilot or whatever to want to be comfortable or don't want to have 90 decibels of cabin noise at cruise. To each and to their own...
    If someone is building their own aircraft, I have no quarrel with them building an IFR Breezy, if they wish. I someone wants to build a Murphy Moose and fill it with so much stuff that it can only be flown by a single 110 pound pilot. I'm fine with that.
    However that's not what this forum is about. The question was what kind of grand prize aircraft would we all recommend.
    Many people have had differing views on the perfect prize plane and I have enjoyed reading them even though they weren't my ideal. Some even gave me new insights on perfection.
    In that spririt, I offered my opinion of the perfect prize plane and it's attributes. I didn't know that by offering my opinion, I was condemming all other thoughts.
    It was fun reading all the various ideas, but now I think that I'll unsubscribe to this forum rather than have my opinion repeatedly attacked. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    Like one of my friends says you don't see it from the inside when you're flying it! Although I don't consider the Icon ugly....now the Sonex hmmmm.
    Not much of the inside, anyway:
    Name:  SNX_roll.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  22.6 KB
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

A Kitfox might fit the bill - build time is about right, could be built to LSA specs, is a proven design, and looks pretty good inside and out. Kitfoxes are only outbuilt by the RV series, and not by all that much, after all.

Keeping it LSA eligible would be a plus for a lot of reasons, but namely price and pilot availability. The latter not just because I'm a Sport Pilot, but because a lot of PPL's are flying solely under light sport rules (and those that aren't can still fly it).

And I love the notion of watching it get built by an EAA team with cameos from various sponsors and the gear they put into it. And then have different guest pilots working off the 40 hours and their impressions - Mr. Hoover speaking about how it flys as an airplane and Mac describing how the autopilot and the cup holders work would be a nice set of contrasting articles.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barker View Post
    Many people have had differing views on the perfect prize plane and I have enjoyed reading them even though they weren't my ideal.
    The P-51 just won the AOPA Favorite Aircraft Challenge. How about a flying Titan T-51 as a grand prize? I'd buy a lot of raffle tickets for that!

Ryan

Any multi-seat Vans aircraft would be a great prize!

I want a trip to space. THAT would make me buy a bunch of tickets.
    The journey is the reward.

Antique/Classic: Super Seabee (like some mentioned earlier) Experimental: Murphy Moose Warbird: deHavilland Chipmunk New: Citabria or Great Lakes