Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

Since this is a pipedream (emphasis on 'dream'), and to stay within the confines of the EAA (going towards the warbird/classic aircraft arena), I propose this list to choose from:
    Pitcairn Mailwing
    Waco YMF or UPF-7 or Taperwing
    Great Lakes 2T-1A
    Yak 3 or 52
    Boeing Stearman PT-17 or 450

But then, I would be happy just just to be at Oshkosh to watch any of them fly. Best to all and good luck in the next sweepstakes

If we are talking prizes other then the main prize, how about a ride in Rod's Stearman or T-6. I also liked the idea of a trip for 4 back to OSH, week passes, camper rental so they can enjoy camp scholler. I know EAA uses the airplane to travel with to raise awareness and bring employees to events before it is raffled off, why not a Cessna 210 or 182 then

Maybe one or several 1 hr rides in a P-51? At my age I'm not about to start a homebuilt, but I'd sure go for a P-51 ride - and not any of that turbine stuff either.......

What might be the tax consequences of a ride?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    Maybe one or several 1 hr rides in a P-51? At my age I'm not about to start a homebuilt, but I'd sure go for a P-51 ride - and not any of that turbine stuff either.......

What might be the tax consequences of a ride?

No tax consequences........gastro intestinal consequences more likely (you know...at your age)
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 03-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.

I like the idea of giving a superb ride. I have had my ride in the 51 though so would love a ride in almost any turbine powered (hot air or prop) warbird designed and flown since 1951.
    Larry
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

That would be a helluva grand prize - WWII Grand Tour

Flights in various warbirds/trainers!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Getting back to the original question...
    The Experimental Aircraft Association should give away an Experimental Aircraft.
    A completed aircraft by a "repeat offender" builder.
    My suggetions would be a GlasStar (not a Sportsman). If I remember the specs; 2 people w/lots of luggage, 150 mph @ 20+ mpg.
    You could pick an S-LSA that grew out of what was originally a kit.
    Whatever you give, remember USEFUL LOAD is appreciated by most EAAers.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Pipistrel Virus SW with the 100 rotax, high performance cheap to operate once won. Cruise 146 knots sipping fuel, 800 mile range or opt for the extended range wings and go 2400 miles.
    2400 miles at 146 knots? Why would you need that kind of range in something that is day VFR only?How much could you get on the very lightly used market for one of those?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Larry, if you limit the warbirds that you want to ride in to post 1951 designs, you miss all the great classics of the 30s and the WWII ones.
    That would be like saying I'd like to win any painting, but only those done after 1951 interests me; forget about the great master painters of the past.

If we are talking prizes other then the main prize, how about a ride in Rod's Stearman
    From what I hear, all that takes is asking nicely.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.