Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

Affordable care act!

I'd love a wooden antique, but really, if I could spring for $700/mo hangar rent and so forth, I'd already have one.

I think an aluminum ship without too much horsepower would actually be kept and used by many EAA'ers. Not much point in giving a homebuilt - still need A&P to work on if you weren't the builder.

Something with a little panache - how about a Varga Kachina...or Cessna 190 (sigh).

if I could spring for $700/mo hangar rent
    Good grief. Given that you can operate something that light out of a grass strip, why not just get a cheap steel building to store it in?

I think an aluminum ship without too much horsepower would actually be kept and used by many EAA'ers
    I love being a minority. LOL
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Something metal with a tailwheel a la:

Cessna 140, 170, or gulp 195
    Luscombe 8 or 11 (yeah, that is rare)
    Wilga!!!!
    Yak?!?!

I'm just throwing these out there, not saying I would actually want one (or one of each )
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

How about a refurbished Cessna 152 Aerobat (for the certified crowd) or a Sonex (for the experimental crowd)? I'd love to win a Pietenpol myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzius View Post
    If we are talking prizes other then the main prize, how about a ride
    A ride would be adequate for the main prize..........If we're talking ride into space via Virgin Galactic.......

Maybe one exp and one certified ? Winner could keep both, or sell one to cover taxes.....

reality check - money is still the answer

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Good grief. Given that you can operate something that light out of a grass strip, why not just get a cheap steel building to store it in?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I love being a minority. LOL
    <br><br>

Dear Steveinindy - I don't own a grass strip either. Big metro area, would have to drive about 2 hours to a place pastoral enough for what you describe, and still buy or lease the land for the steel building. Said building would cost about the same as recovering a Stinson 108-1, so that's my choice.<br><br>

P.S. I misspoke, still need A&amp;P to inspect, not work on, an experimental...

AOPA already does the Certified refurbish give-a-way. It would be nice if EAA could do something around its heritage. Amateur Built, Vintage/antique or warbird.

It would be great if their could be some type of restoral of a category each year. Maybe by one chapter doing the renovation if that makes sense.

I would love to win a vintage Staggerwing, or a fully restored warbird. I think if the right Amateur Built was there that would be great. Sign me up for a Lancair Evolution.

For the question, I'm happy with anything EAA would send my way as a prize. I personally think the idea of a kit is intriging, although I never built anything on that scale. The downside of a kit is getting the tools and the parts that may not be included with some kits (engines, instruments, for example). Many people wouldn't be able to find the time for an unfinished kit. A completed kit plane is a whole 'nother story. A magazine series could be done from building the kit- what surprises did the builder overcome and how? What skills did they employ? Like AOPA, see if the advertisers want to contribute stuff (instruments, rebuilt engine, tools, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
    A magazine series could be done from building the kit- what surprises did the builder overcome and how? What skills did they employ? Like AOPA, see if the advertisers want to contribute stuff (instruments, rebuilt engine, tools, etc).
    I agree with Cap'n Jack. A full year series of watching the grand prize being built just as the AOPA spends a year of restoring their grand prize.
    I would wait at the mailbox to pick up each new issue to see how "my" plane is coming along. Just don't go overboard with gee whiz stuff and lose the useful load.