Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Question Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

If you could win any aircraft in a future EAA Sweepstakes, what would be your top pick?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Since we're doing the vintage/classic thing this year, I gotta say a Sportsman 2+2 would be pretty sweet. Practical, useful, convertible gear (and floats!!!), won't break the bank to operate, and looks like a lot of fun to boot.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

The sportsman would be a great choice. So would any one of the RV series. What would be great is to do a build series in sport aviation were we could follow along and polls to help choose the equipment that goes in it. Let's us help decide. Within reason of coarse.

Tell Brady the good news!

1. EAA paint scheme and logos will be put on his plane!
    2. He gets an opportunity to build another aircraft.
    3. He'll be reimbursed for the price of the kit.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I doubt the EAA is going to have a kit for the sweepstakes. A finished experimental would have obvious drawbacks. Maybe a sportsman with the Two Weeks To Taxi included but that might exceed the budget. How about a warbirds? Birddog? T-34, although those might also push the budget...

How about a Yak 52.. WAY better perfomrance than a T-34, very aerobatic, yet cheap enough to not break the budget. Plus the guys over at Weeks could go through it pretty cheap given it'e experimental heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd copeland View Post
    I doubt the EAA is going to have a kit for the sweepstakes...
    I think it's not a bad idea provided it's a complete kit. For example, Vans RV-12. The only problem I see with a kit is the winner doesn't get the instant gratification of flying his prize.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I think it's not a bad idea provided it's a complete kit. For example, Vans RV-12. The only problem I see with a kit is the winner doesn't get the instant gratification of flying his prize.

No, the real problem is if a Kit is won by someone who does not build airplanes or has no interest or inclination or skills to do so! A kit prize will severly reduce the number of tickets sold.

Additionally, winning a Kit by someone who does not reside in the U.S. could present possible importation restrictions to their country of residence. Same goes for warbirds.

I believe whatever choice is made, it must be factory built and certified. To that end, my choice is the leading edge Icon A5 Amphibian. Oshkosh made them highly visible and successful and helped them put more than 750 orders on the books. As production is currently scheduled for Q4 this year, EAA should ask this cash rich and growing company to donate an aircraft for Airventure 2013. I for one would buy a s**tload of tickets!
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 03-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    No, the real problem is if a Kit is won by someone who does not build airplanes or has no interest or inclination or skills to do so!A kit prize will severly reduce the number of tickets sold.
    Do you have evidence to support what you say is true or are you just guessing? I have no interest or inclination to fly or own a cherokee but when they gave one away a few yrs back I sent in all 30 of my preprinted tickets. Actually, I'd been happy with second or third prize as well. I seriously doubt someone is not going to participate in the raffle because of the choice of plane (or kit).

I believe whatever choice is made, it must be factory built and certified. To that end, my choice is the leading edge Icon A5 Amphibian.
    Well, I have no desire or inclination to own or fly one but I'd sure send in my tickets.

Banned
    Marty, the "evidence" is that slightly less than one-third of EAA members are homebuilders based on statistical data both duly noted in various threads on this forum and collected by EAA. Add to that the many thousands of predominatly non-flying visitors who attend Airventure daily to see an airshow and would be inclined to buy tickets for a chance at winning a built aircraft they could use immediately to get their licence.

I am part of the two-thirds and I would not want to pay the required mandatory taxes on a prize I would not use or have any use for.