Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Future EAA Sweepstakes - Pipe dreams and other suggestions wanted!

If you guys are not interested in actually building and airplane, why do you even belong to the EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION. AOPA would be happy to take your membership money. Barnstormer... p.s. I have only built four experimentals and I have plans for a couple more. Two of my previous ones have been Grand Champions. My E.A.A. number is 12611.
    Last edited by Barnstormer; 03-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hausding View Post
    Guess being the "one third" you present to us as factual, I miss seeing any of your corporate spirit towards the true identity and historical beginnings of EAA as we know it...........not sure I appreciate your attitude and the thoughts you speak of concerning the other "2/3" not knowing or wanting something along the lines of a kit aircraft? Rather than your opinion Sir, why not rely on and listen to the answers you requested from the people you asked concerning this question to begin with...............
    Sid, I'm not sure I'm reading your message correctly, but just to be extra clear, Floatsflyer didn't ask the question, I did. As for the rest of it, once again, I'm asking everyone to stay (or get back) on topic and give us your ideas for future aircraft giveaways.

Thanks!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    If you guys are not interested in actually building and airplane, why do you even belong to the EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION. AOPA would be happy to take your membership money. Barnstormer... p.s. I have only built four experimentals and I have plans for a couple more. Two of my previous ones have been Grand Champions. My E.A.A. number is 12611.
    Barnstormer - 4 completed projects and 2 Grand Champs - fantastic! So why not tell us what aircraft you think we should give away?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Banned

Speaking for me only, I belong to EAA because EAA speaks very loudly to me about my eclectic aviation interests and provides me with all that I require to pursue and learn more about those interests. I am not just a miopic spam can aviator. I have great enthusiasm and excitment for antiques/classics, warbirds, ultralights, LSA's, seaplanes(obviously) and yes, honest to God, homebuilts. Although I fly a 182 on wheels and a 172 on straight floats, when I come to Oshkosh, I don't visit the Cessna's, Piper's, Beech's, etc, etc. because for me they're booorrring. The excitement for me is all those other categories I mentioned. It's Airplane Disneyland on steroids for me.

In fact for many years, it has been my opinion that the kit industry produces some of the best airplanes available and no one comes close to them for being on the leading edge of innovation, creativity, materials use and airframe technology.

So there you have it Barnstormer--the world according to Floatsflyer. With apologies to Yaeger--I'm just a natural born stick and rudder man--I just don't build airplanes....I don't build anything!!!! I'm not good at it and I have no interest in changing that! You builder guys, God bless you, ya just gotta accept this is the way I roll, the way many of us aviation nutbars roll!

Oh, and by the way, I do belong to AOPA but for only one reason--to have online access to the airports directory. I trust you would not consider that heresy.

And one other thing. I belong to the Canadian Cancer Society....and I don't have cancer.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 03-22-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Back on subject, how about a Decathalon or a Super Decathalon. Both are "affordable" relatively speaking, easy to fly, fun, can be used as a trainer to learn, and are aerobatic. These planes are easy to fly and own, can be used to learn on as well as used to compete in sportsman class aerobatics. Sounds like the ideal airplane to win. Plus they have classic lines and style. High wings to help your significant other happy when looking down at the ground, slow enough to see what is going on below you and provide shade at fly ins. If the EAA and AOPA convince the FAA to let people fly with out medicals as recreational pilot, pretty much anyone could learn to fly a decent plane and afford to own it. Kit aircraft are cool and fun both to build and fly, but I think that a raffle event would have better turn out with a certified aircraft. Not everyone has the time, space, or commitment to build a plane.

Pipistrel Virus SW with the 100 rotax, high performance cheap to operate once won. Cruise 146 knots sipping fuel, 800 mile range or opt for the extended range wings and go 2400 miles.

And this is the exact reason this forum and association have a problem. Nothing more than a bunch of people who would love nothing more than to scream, "Get off my lawn". Either you're with their narrow view of what EAA is, or you are the enemy.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Nice to meet you. Allow me to introduce myself too....

(sorry couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    And this is the exact reason this forum and association have a problem. Nothing more than a bunch of people who would love nothing more than to scream, "Get off my lawn".

Either you're with their narrow view of what EAA is, or you are the enemy.
    Pretty much. There has to be a solution to that other than simply waiting for the natural attrition due to aging to alleviate the problem.....

Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Okay... to answer the question (Ya'll remember the question, right?)... and with a truly selfish motive...

An Ercoupe. The 'C' model. With 85 horsepower. And no rudder pedals. Oh, and make sure it has an STC that raises the gross to 1320. But not an once over. Got it? Good. See you at AV.

Kit aircraft are cool and fun both to build and fly, but I think that a raffle event would have better turn out with a certified aircraft. Not everyone has the time, space, or commitment to build a plane.
    There is no one size fits all. Not everyone is going to find every grand prize in the sweepstakes is exactly what they want or desire. Doesn't mean they don't jump at the opportunity to win. I think Frank said earlier a kit plane has all the implications of a free dog, well, guess what? That is true of any airplane given away. Have to house, feed, maintain and pay taxes on it - IOW it comes with a big bill for the time you own it. Up to this point, every airplane in the sweepstakes has been a certified aircraft - if you include LSA as certified. Perhaps it's time to offer a kit plane. After all, builders are 1/3 of the membership. An RV-12 would be another LSA with the exception that is has to be assembled.