Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 Accomodation

Just don't plan on leaving after the airshow. That's the only really busy time for traffic. Also understanding the traffic flows in the program will help. They change the flow and direction of one way roads for the morning inbound rush and the late afternoon exit. Once you get to the freeway, you shouldn't have any issues. Assuming that they finally re-open the entrance ramps this year.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I would highly recommend GREEN LAKE WISCONSIN. Only about a 30 minute drive SSW of Oshkosh. You will avoid the road construction from Oshkosh thru Appleton and up to Green Bay. I believe they still have rooms at he Heidel House Resort. On Green Lake. http://www.heidelhouse.com/

I have stayed there many times! It is nice to get away from all the crowds in Oshkosh...and get a seat at dinner quicker!

In comparison to driving on the M25, rush hour in Oshkosh will be a complete doddle. Shame you can't find anywhere closer tho'. There's so much going on in the evening as well, you won't want to leave.

All booked in staying at Sleepy Hollow Farm can't wait. Just got to sort out our rental car. Renting a car in Australia is sooo much simpler, in the States the advertised price is not the real price it's plus this tax plus that, plus something else and then insurance on top, pretty soon it costs as much as buying a car for the 2weeks.

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    Flyag, I rented a car from Dollar rental in Chicago. Pre booked with Flight Centre all up for 7 days under 400.00au half the price of hertz avis etc. Ended up with a Dodge Caliber that was big enough to sleep in when the weather turned sour on a couple of nights. great service from them and no sneaky add ons. Only extra was 1/2 tank of gas on return. Check your travel insurance they usually cover hire car accidents so no need for there costly insurance either. i also noticed that booking thru a 3rd party online was far cheaper than booking with company online. I also took my Tom Tom navigator and downloaded midwest USA map rather than use theirs as well cheaper in long run and it is a must have to get around.
    have a great time
    Ozzie
    Last edited by Ozzie; 06-06-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyag View Post
    All booked in staying at Sleepy Hollow Farm can't wait. Just got to sort out our rental car. Renting a car in Australia is sooo much simpler, in the States the advertised price is not the real price it's plus this tax plus that, plus something else and then insurance on top, pretty soon it costs as much as buying a car for the 2weeks.

I stay at Sleepy Hollow, space 69. Drop in for a visit, I'll be there all week.

Gday Ozzie, I'm getting slugged $300 one way fee as we pick up in DC and drop off in Milwaukee before heading up to Canada. I thought travel insurance only covered the excess not CDW.
    Malexander Thanks mate looking forward to a few cold Millers in the evenings.

Frank thanks for the tip as my wife has agreed I can go to Air Venture 2014 !! (Last time we did 3 weeks in Canada and left me in Chicago as she is not into aviation) !
    I found going to Green Bay every evening a hastle so will try this hotel in Green Bay. Any rough idea how far in advance I would have to book to get a room for Air Venture ? A year ahead ??

Have you considered the UWOsh dorms? Relatively reasonable, and if you don't need an air conditioned room you can usually get one up until a few months before the show. Getting a hotel right around the show is a pain (as in, 3 years plus for a reservation), but if you travel a bit outside of town, you usually have no problem with a room.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton