Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I won't be back to Oshkosh

Frank, If the museum was clothihing optional; what you you be using to draw the line in the sand with?

Seriously, what do you need to be armed in the museum for? Here in Arizona there's a political flight to allow guns in bars and schools! I'm a registered, card carrying, conservative, but everyone carrying guns is nuts.

There are warbirds in the museum ya know......

John, do you really feel that insecure without carrying a gun everywhere you go?

One of the things I like about the week at EAA is that it feels like a group of friends in a small town or at least the way a small town used to be or ought to be.
    In almost 30 years of going to EAA, I have never seen any violence on the site among people, never a fight or a robbery, never saw any cop draw a gun, never saw anyone hit or threaten anyone. The most I have ever seen is a few raised voices, and one time three years ago I saw a Father disgrace himself by yelling at the top of his voice at his young Son while poking him in the chest. I almost said something to the man trying to bully the boy, but thought better of it and he calmed down. Having the love and respect of a son or daughter is a precious thing, maybe the dad one day will realize it when it is too late. Anyway, that was so out of character for EAA that it stands out in my mind.

I was a hunter and gun owner when I was growing up and one of my Sons is a gun owner and target shooter now; but he doesn't bring his guns to EAA.

There are a lot of other places, such as gun shows or hunting areas where you can join with others who share your hobby. Do you take your gun to church, if you go?

Please don't bring it to EAA, we are about airplanes and good times, not violence and paranoia.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-18-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Hmmmm, I have to say the lack of respect for the second ammendment here is disurbing, so anyone who carries a firearm is paranoid? or needs a psyche eval? While I respect the private property rights of the EAA and their anti-firearm views, I feel the responses here again lead me to believe I have little in common with "todays aviator" I for one applaud the man for standing up for what he believes in, people with integrity used to do that often, but that was some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    Hmmmm, I have to say the lack of respect for the second ammendment here is disurbing, so anyone who carries a firearm is paranoid? or needs a psyche eval?
    I think most are only wondering why one chooses to be completely inflexible toward those that don't share his opinion. The buzz word for that is "intolerant."

Do you not see the irony? You guys like the EAA for standing up for you (fighting user fees and various restrictions), but when the same organization is willing to deny you your rights, that's OK with you?

Have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Do you not see the irony? You guys like the EAA for standing up for you (fighting user fees and various restrictions), but when the same organization is willing to deny you your rights, that's OK with you?

Have a good time.
    The EAA is exercising its right as a private entity to set conditions for the use of its facilities. That's the same thing you would do if I came to your house - set terms and conditions. Maybe you wouldn't want me to smoke (not that I do) if I visited your house. That wouldn't be taking away my rights, that would be asserting your right as a homeowner.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Have a good time.
    I don't think they are trying to deny anyone their rights. They are simply establishing requirements to enter their property. I do the same. Sorry you are offended by that.

Why would you want a gun on campus? why would you want a responsible gun carrier at the scene when the nut job starts a killing spree?
    You are safer with me than with out me.
    Remember, when there are no responsible gun owners, to protect you, there will be anarchy.
    IT normally takes a nut job 3 seconds to pull a gun and start shooting, it requires 10-15 minutes for the police to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I don't think they are trying to deny anyone their rights. They are simply establishing requirements to enter their property. I do the same. Sorry you are offended by that.
    If you really believe that I'd like you to place a sign in your yard, " this home is unarmed"