Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I won't be back to Oshkosh

Why I won't be back to Oshkosh

I have learned that EAA has posted it's museum "no weapons".

Besides opening themselves up to lawsuits by posting if something happens (act 35 gives those who DON'T post immunity from such lawsuits), it is an insult to the law abiding citizens of Wisconsin.

They can claim all sorts of things, probably all of them have the word "safety" in there.

The fact is, I went through training, a background check, paid a $50 fee. Why they think criminals will go through all this, or even obey the sign, is beyond me.

I know that airventure rules have said for years no weapons on premises, but with the passing of act 35, this rule opens them up to all kinds of liability, and presumes criminality on the part of members and the public.

I'm trying to remember the last time I felt threatened by criminals at an air museum.

Do you wear a seatbelt? have a spare tire for your car? fire extingusher in your home? Why? Just in case, right, cause you don't plan to be in an accident, have a fire, or a flat tire.

While any museum is probably one of the last places you expect crime, how do you know for sure?

Why treat people like they're going to be criminals? What is wrong with simply carrying a tool for safety?

Sorry EAA, but unless you can be totally responsible for my safety, I'll keep my money.

John
    I too have a license to carry a concealed weapon.
    BUT I do not take it to Oshkosh or sporting events, etc
    AND if someone has a sign prohibiting firearms--no problem--its their right to deny it.
    It concerns me that by EAA posting a sign, that you would be mad enough to state on a public form that you will not be coming.
    You need to ask yourself--If something as small as a sign makes me this angry--should I really be carrying a weapon???
    And if you take this to court--do you think they are going to let you take a handgun into the courthouse??
    AirAdventure is about airplanes, family and friends , I see no need for a gun----If I did see the need--I wouldn't go.
    Kevin

more room at the museum for me
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

Bingo. Last thing we need is someone who is prone to irrational responses to perceived slights and operates on misguided notions about the right to carry on private property. You will not be missed.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Do you wear a seatbelt? have a spare tire for your car? fire extingusher in your home? Why? Just in case, right, cause you don't plan to be in an accident, have a fire, or a flat tire. While any museum is probably one of the last places you expect crime, how do you know for sure? Why treat people like they're going to be criminals? What is wrong with simply carrying a tool for safety? Sorry EAA, but unless you can be totally responsible for my safety, I'll keep my money.
    Paranoid much? I am more concerned about being run over by Patty Wagstaff during one of her drunk driving demonstrations than being assaulted, robbed, murdered or anything else that would warrant use of deadly force. Your attitude is why- as someone who likes to shoot and hunt- I think a psych evaluation should be required right along with the background check.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

We will not miss you next we go to Airventure.
    Bill

I agree with John.

Since learning the museum isn't "clothing optional" I too have drawn a line in the sand.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

*snorts* well played Frank. LMAO